free website stats program My wife wants a trike | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

My wife wants a trike

I have to ask this but does your wife think the trike will be safer, easier for her to hold up and no concern for balancing. If that is her reason for the trike then fine.

Ya, I think this is why she wants a trike. She does very well but is still nervous in traffic situations. I think with more seat time she'll be more comfortable but she's been talking trike for a few months now.

The modern trike wheel base vs that of the Honda three wheel ATV are way different, the modern trike is longer and wider.

I loved my old Honda 3 wheeler! It was lots of fun, but you're right, technology is much different today than the days of old. :)

MSG , rent a Dyna model for a day or 2, I think she would like it better than a sporty, lower seat better ride and handle better and less $$$ than a trike. JMHO

Some how I didn't get my point across. The three wheel Honda was an example of how a trike can get out of hand. No matter how well they are made they all have an inerent handling difficulty. Usually that is when taking a turn too quickly and you get a tire up in the air. All the susupension systems on the market will not prevent it but they can help. The only way to correct such an instance is to steer in the opposite direction which can be right into a worse situation. Please do not think you can't get into that position becuase yours is so modern. Handling is handling no matter how much you may have to work at it. My only thing I am trying to get across is to be safe and know your limitations and the trikes. Just be safe out there.

MSG , rent a Dyna model for a day or 2, I think she would like it better than a sporty, lower seat better ride and handle better and less $$$ than a trike. JMHO

Good idea... I'll talk to her about it... I wanted her on a Dyna to begin with but she loved the Sportster as soon as she saw it...
WAP.gif

Some how I didn't get my point across. The three wheel Honda was an example of how a trike can get out of hand. No matter how well they are made they all have an inerent handling difficulty. Usually that is when taking a turn too quickly and you get a tire up in the air. All the susupension systems on the market will not prevent it but they can help. The only way to correct such an instance is to steer in the opposite direction which can be right into a worse situation. Please do not think you can't get into that position becuase yours is so modern. Handling is handling no matter how much you may have to work at it. My only thing I am trying to get across is to be safe and know your limitations and the trikes. Just be safe out there.

Thank you Fossil, your point has been taken. I understand what your saying, just have not tried one.
WAP.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
MaineStreetGlide,
Do you have a trike club in your area? A group like Brothers of the Third Wheel, there is a lot of trike knowledge within that organization and they'd be very helpful.
Visit the trike conversion shops in your area for more information and test rides, any big rally in your area or close to you? Visit the trike manufacturer vendor booths as they have test rides.
By all means take these new trikes out for a test ride too, they are a far cry from the Honda 3 wheel ATV.
Nothing today is safe when mishandled, I don't care what it is. Jelly beans, roller skates, motorcycles, trikes, automobiles and anything else. When we get up in the morning and begin our day we gamble with our lives. If we think about it, the only way to stay out of harms way is to never get out of bed.

If we think about it, the only way to stay out of harms way is to never get out of bed.

We can't even guarantee that with all the disastrous weather some have been having!

The rest of your post though is good sound advice. She's in no hurry so we'll check things out. :s

Well there are bunch of options as you surely have found, if you trike her sporty then you can have it built your way personalized so to speak, if the power is fine for her then do it that way I would say, if she wants more power then a big twin may be the way to go but much pricier. keep in mine if you do trike the sporty a few things Raked triple tree a must for handling, most likely have to change exhaust. Can chose rear end widths colors and such. can change the paint scheme on the bike if you like. just some food for thought.

I have done many conversions and we can always chat if you have questions I am willing to assist if I can

HB

Back