free website stats program My wife wants a trike | Harley Davidson Forums

My wife wants a trike

EnjoyingTheRyde

I've read a lot of the posts on the Trikes page and I'm starting to do a little research. I don't know if I want to trike her 09 sportster, try to buy something already built, or buy factory built. Can I build one? Straight axle? Independant suspension? Full dressed? Sport? I kind of like the CSC Volusia. Looks like it has enough storage for touring and yet a sporty look. Sorry for rambling on but too many decisions! It's not something we can do right off as we don't have space for it right now but I guess I better start researching. Any additional info/ideas or other things I should consider would be appreciated.

Ride safe!

As you are adding on to the garage...you can be checking out all the options for your Wife's New HD Trike. Which color did "she" say???
wilks3

I've read a lot of the posts on the Trikes page and I'm starting to do a little research. I don't know if I want to trike her 09 sportster, try to buy something already built, or buy factory built. Can I build one? Straight axle? Independant suspension? Full dressed? Sport? I kind of like the CSC Volusia. Looks like it has enough storage for touring and yet a sporty look. Sorry for rambling on but too many decisions! It's not something we can do right off as we don't have space for it right now but I guess I better start researching. Any additional info/ideas or other things I should consider would be appreciated.

Ride safe!

Just check this thread in here for the build I did and am still adding too. Lots of good info - Here's my Trike build

zoood/RJ

You didn't say why your wife wanted a trike. Has she ever ridden on one or driven one? My wife has two trikes and I have driven both. They are a different animal from a bike and handle entirely different. They do require some upper body strength, but once you learn that there is a lot more behind you they are fun to operate. Before you build or buy one you will want to check out all the aftermarket manufacturers and take as many as you can for test rides. Like Harleys they are a large investment so do your homework. If you go to any of the major bike events you can usually find trikes set up and trial rides offered, have fun looking and good luck.

raked triple trees will require less effort to handle a trike.most builders of trikes suggest that you put them on.

Ride safe!

Yes, you can build your own Sportster trike with the following kits: Roadsmith, Champion, Frankenstein. Motortrike makes a Sportster kit that must be factory installed. Triple trees (EZ Steer are available also).
Check out the following thread for more helpful hints:
Are you thinking about.... - Harley Davidson Community
I put this together for information to help potential trike buyers and to let them know what's available from the installer only kits to those for the D-I-Y.
We're here to help you.
It's a big commitment to build a trike. Factory built means only a few the Tri-glide and Street Glide trike from HD, the Crossbow and the Pitboss from Lehman, Motortrike has one built from the Honda Shadow and then there's the Boss Hoss Trike. You have the Can-Am Spyder.

I guess it's down to a summer of trying out as many as we can. We checked one out a week or so ago and the sales person told her she definately needs to try them out.

Thanks all...

I have to ask this but does your wife think the trike will be safer, easier for her to hold up and no concern for balancing. If that is her reason for the trike then fine. I would find some one who is very familiar with trikes to talk to your wife about some serious handling faults of trikes. If you ever get a trike into a handling problem her chances of saving it will be very low. A hard turn on a country road that brings one of the rear wheels up is usually corrected by a hard turning of the forks in the opposite direction. That shakes the handling and shoots the trike off to into an entireley different direction. Think of the Honda three wheel ATV's and how their handling got them out of the US.

The modern trike wheel base vs that of the Honda three wheel ATV are way different, the modern trike is longer and wider. There are raked triple trees that remove steering difficulties and headshake. Modern trikes have independent rear suspension that keep the wheels on the ground and even the solid axle models have contact. Lehman Trikes is the only trike conversion manufacturer recognized by the U.S. Government. Trikes are growing in popularity and offbrand kits and fly by night conversion manufacturers will come out of the woodwork. Buy from a reputable conversion manufacturer, a company with a good history and a quality product.
Lehman Trike Video.
YouTube - Lehman Trikes Company Video
If you look at the two photos below, you can see the difference in the wheel base of the Honda ATV Trike and the HD Street Glide.

Attachments

• 1985 Honda Big Red 3 wheeler 001_medium.jpeg
    1985 Honda Big Red 3 wheeler 001_medium.jpeg
    14.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 2010_Harley_Street_Glide_Trike3.jpg
    2010_Harley_Street_Glide_Trike3.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 1
Check them out first, test drive or rent one. My buddy traded his Road King for a trike and was VERY disappointed, poor gas mileage,the way it handled etc. Sold it to by a Road Glide and took a big hit $$ when he tried to sell it..

Back