free website stats program My weekend "incident" | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

My weekend "incident"

He was just doing his job and the probable cause as he stated was the turn signal violation. You did not define the turn signal violation. Maybe you did not turn it off. Fortunately you played it cool and went along and did not display attitude. He is probably tired of complaints of citizens, the noise and drunken antics of motorcyclists so I doubt he is just singling out Harley riders. If went to court there would be a good chance of a loss on your part.
Rules are rules.

The two things I really have problems with
1) They seem to be singling out motorcycles... you don't see/hear of them pulling over cars just to check for valid drivers licenses.
2) He had ZERO probable cause to breathalize me. The law says they must have probably cause. What really (EDIT) is, if at the point he told me he wanted to administer the BAC test to me, if I refused, its an automatic 6 month license suspension. Again, I blew, I had nothing to hide, I hadn't been drinking, but what was his probable cause, aside from him "feeling better"...

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

You may have a point on that one.....checking the license after a stop for a minor infraction is definately not an issue in my book.....however I would like to hear what the law states about "probable cause" for administering a BAC test. I would think the probable cause would be if you were driving in some manner that made it appear you were intoxicated or if he smelled alcohol or you were slurring your speach. I don't know the answer and I have never been BAC tested before.....anyone know if an officer has the authority to request a BAC for a turn signal violation?

They did it in Maine last fall, BIKES only stop, said they were checking inspection stickers but it was a 1/2 mile up the road from the local biker bar.(Bentley's) And illegal immigrants don't ride Harley's. :s

This is true in Michigan too. I have heard it through the grape vine that Police will be citing motorcycles for loud pipes as they would a car with a broken exhaust. Cities townships and villages are passing noise ordinances which come with hefty fines. local police will be armed with noise meters and will be trained to do sound checks. Fines will be in the $150.00 range in Annarbor and surrounding areas.

Do not give the cops probable cause to pull you over and always be polite and cooperate. A lot of times when getting a ticket what you do not see is the notes the cops make on the back of the tickets The Judge sees them:s

Do not give the cops probable cause to pull you over and always be polite and cooperate. A lot of times when getting a ticket what you do not see is the notes the cops make on the back of the tickets The Judge sees them:s

Also, do not offer any information not asked for. That can be dangerous as well.

Being polite goes a long way, they are just doing their jobs after all. I got stopped yesterday for not wearing a helmet and he just asked to see my helmet exemption card. Showed it to him and we had a 20 minute chat, he rode a Wing. Got a friend who is a city cop and he says that the first words out of the person's mouth is when he decides as to wether to give a warning or ticket. I would be the same, give me attitude and I'll give it right back.

Back