free website stats program My pet peeve | Harley Davidson Forums

My pet peeve

horizonchaser

Contributor
Last night I went to check the transmission fluid as a matter of routine when it occurred to me that I have a heck of a time reading the fluid level. When the fluid is all nice and clean and I try to read it against the shiny chrome dipstick, I can't for the life of me discern where the fluid mark is! Is it me or what? Why the heck do they make the dipstick chrome anyway? Why not a dull black so the wet fluid mark would be easier to read. What I usually do is, after the dipstick is inserted in the tranny, lying on top of the threads, I remove it and place it against a paper towel and see where the fluid transfers onto the towel. Then I lay my stick along side of it to see where the fluid "Full-Empty" marks line up against the towel. The trouble with that method is the wet fluid starts spreading quickly on the towel giving a less than precise reading. So help me, I am thinking of sandblasting the chrome right the heck off of that stick and spray painting it a heat resistant barbeque dull black so I can clearly see the wet mark against the backdrop of the dull black.
I am at wits end with this. :( How do you guys/gals accurately read your transmission fluid? BTW, I have an '03 Ultra Classic.

Change transmission fluid to one that has color. I believe the Spectro Platinum is red in color.

A little sandpaper to scuff the stick up will also work.

Agree...my "aged" eyes are crepping up on me too & it's harder to see the fluids on amy of my vehicles (lawnmowers to cars). I'll to the paper towel trick & might have to have my son nearby to verify levels soon too...

This works good, you can also use a crayon on the stick then wipe off when done:s

Thanks Jack. I know I have a few black "grease pencils" lying around the house somewhere. Some people call them China Markers.
I was glad to see that I was not alone in trying to read the dip stick. :D

Back