free website stats program My Own Ultra Classic | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

My Own Ultra Classic

Bobcat,

I ride an 09 Ultra and I ended up adding the touring pullback bars (I routed the wires internally), reach seat and rider backrest. Tons of cash if your dealer instals the bars, they'll charge you for new clutch & brake cables and throttle by wire harnesses which you don't need. They'll tack on 4 or 5 hours of labor ($80+/hour) just to reconfig you ABS on top of the labor to pull your outer fairing, ignition and on and on. I did all my own maintenance and saved a bunch of cash and couldn't be happier with the outcome.

Anyhow, congrats on the new scoot (very low miles), enjoy it and ride safe.

Likewise, congratulations on the new ride. Great find.
Gotta agree about the bars. I've just done the swap myself and it has made my 09 FLHT a different bike. I didn't change any of the cabling either. I'll write up some of the pitfalls/steps in a future thread. The HD instructions were not very applicable.

Cheers

Neil

Last edited:
I looked at some other ultra's at Harley of Waco today and the bars were the next step up (rolled forward). Dealer said they could adjust and charge one hour labor ($75).
The guy that I bought the bike from was a short guy and had the bars lowered. It is fine and I rode all day today. But one click should do the trick.

As far as the odometer being rolled over goes? I don't think so the difference between a bike that has 1000 miles and 101000 miles would be pretty clear I think. Bike just has no wear on it at all.

Thanks
Bob

Bob, you may want to post a picture of what you can see of the handlebar mounting area, as the previous owner may have not just rolled handlebar forward, but may have had them changed as well just to be sure.

BTW to gain access to the mounting bolts, you may have to look under the fairing, so what the Dealer says about 1 hour or so worth of removal of hardware for parts access and re-assembly may be about right. Get a service manual to make sure you have an idea on how it is done or ask the dealer (real nice of course) for Service Notes on R&R of the Handlebar...sometimes parts guy has access to the PDF document as well.

Bobcat,

If your dealer quoted you 1 hour of labor to reposition the bars.......JUMP ON IT! They'll have to pull the outer fairing, remove the stereo, remove the ignition and more....finally, they can position the bars (you need to be there for this) and then they have to put it all back together. It took me 2 hours just to get my ignition switch back inmy scoot......I did get in a hurry and didn't follow the manual step by step here....bad on me.

Still, that's money well spent. Your dealer is doing you a favor by quoting you that price.

Back