free website stats program My Next Harley - I'm So Confused!! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

My Next Harley - I'm So Confused!!

Nice Fourdogs! :bigsmiley14: you got the best of both world:D

Good, Dr., we might get you on a bike before spring time:bigsmiley8:!

Oh, I'm already on a bike! In fact, don't even have to wait until springtime to ride here in north Georgia!:lero

Whoa - hold the phone!!! I've never seen a RK with a fairing! How long does it take to put on and how hard is it? Does it have music? How much did it cost?

This changes everything!!!!!

Doc..yes the fairing attaches just like the windshield...takes about 10 minutes...the tour pak ..to sissy bar take less than 30 sec...and the main reason i got the fairing was because of the radio and cd ..ipod player ...My wife and I go on really long road trips..and we still love listening to music....the fairing in from Hoppe industries...http://www.hoppeindustries.com/spstrhb.html

Doc..yes the fairing attaches just like the windshield...takes about 10 minutes...the tour pak ..to sissy bar take less than 30 sec...and the main reason i got the fairing was because of the radio and cd ..ipod player ...My wife and I go on really long road trips..and we still love listening to music....the fairing in from Hoppe industries...http://www.hoppeindustries.com/spstrhb.html

Wow - went to the website. I should know by now that nothing for a Harley is inexpensive or even usually a "good deal." I was just hoping it would be less than that - pushing $2,000!!

I went from a Sportster to a RK (no fairing) and the windshield can come off and go back on in seconds. As for manouverability, it takes some getting used to but with practice it gets easier and if you get real good you can manouver it like the motorcops do.

I owned a 2005 Heritage Softail. Replaced it with a 2008 Road King Classic. I had put the big bore kit on the Heritage, along with new heads, cams, etc. The dyno run put it at 100 foot/lbs. of torque and 100 horsepower. I have not done a dyno run on the Road King yet, but I have swapped out the pipes already. I also had the King lowered, front and back, because I have a 30 inch leg. Also added heated seats and got the factory option anti-lock brakes.

So the differences I am going to describe are not the differences between stock bikes.

The King is superior by a wide margin in handling, suspension, and braking. Its immunity to road hazards (potholes, etc.) is incredible. Stuff that would have made my Heritage schizoid doesn't even faze the King.

The new Brembo brakes with anti-lock are another whole world better than the Heritage. The ride for the passenger is far superior.

Personally, I do not like fairings, and leave the windshield off until the bugs are so bad my jacket starts looking like a fly swatter. I also left the windshield off the Heritage.

The power of the new engine, 6 speed, and pipes is amazing for what is almost a stock bike. I judge it to be very close to my stroked out Heritage, but will not know for sure until the dyno run. The 6 gallon tank is wonderful and the gas mileage seems to be about 48 mpg, better than what I got with the Heritage.

The only advantage the Heritage had over the King is that it is a lighter bike. When the King starts tipping over on a stop with sloping pavement, I have to react fast or it will go all the way over.

You'll get use to the king at a stop light and the seat will conform a bit more to your legs so it will be much more comfortable, at least that's what I found with mine.

The 48 MPG is great for the 96 also.

I love my Road Glide it can be both sporty and touring bike with few quick cahnges
I would never ride without a winshield now that i have had one I have one on my Fatboy also

I felt the same way when I first brought my Sporty home. First time I got on some sweeping twisties above 50 MPH I found I had a death grip on the bars and immediately bought the quick disconnect windshield. Rode it that way all summer. Then one gorgeous fall day I got a wild hair up my butt and took the windshield off for a ride. Loved the feel of the wind on my chest!! I guess I had gotten my confidence level up where I could relax my grip on the bars and actually enjoy the sensation of the wind. Now, I only put the windshield on for temperature considerations or when I know I'm going to spend some time on the freeway at 65MPH+.

I was a Sporty rider myself and i love my Road Glide... It handles just as good as my Sporty and i can get more on it for the long hauls. I have still got my Sporty but i really dont need it so its for sale. You wouldnt regret getting a Road Glide but a Road king may be your best beat since you wouldnt have the windshield at times. the best thing with the Glide is the tunes !!!!!

Thanks smitty ! I really fell head over heals for this ride and i had to have it. My sporty is orange to so i feel at home on her

Back