free website stats program My new HD - I want Spring | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

My new HD - I want Spring

Icky - I went from a Honda CRF 250R dirt bike to a 2005 Road King about 2 years ago. Prior to the purchase, I took a Basic Riders Class at the local community college to aid in getting my drivers license endorsement. One thing they pushed was learning how to "walk your bike". You may be surprised how you have to manage the weight of the bike in parking situations and the different slopes you'll deal with at low speeds. Practice this and wear some good boots. I'm sure you'll do fine, just respect the bike and do a lot of riding early on to gain more experience. There's nothing like it.

Kickit,
I can't agree more with you. Great points. Icky you are near 900lbs. Road grades at stops sand under your feet and uneven parking spots are always a challenge. There is never a time when a push is/will be refused (I am smaller framed). Same with moving the bike around the house/garage takes patience and planning.
Good luck, COMON SPRING!!

Pushing around will quickly teach you to plan ahead. You'll learn to pick parking spots that are slightly sloped so you can back in easy. You'll start looking for concrete in the summer or something to put under your jiffy stand so it doesn't sink.

On the wobble issue, true that I wouldn't freak out about it. I have a habbit every ride, as soon as I'm up to speed, I lift my hands just enough off the grips that its hand-free and see if it wants to wobble. 99% of the time it flies straight as an arrow, but occassionally if I have it loaded down it will indicate a little wobble. DONT let the wobble develop. Get hands back on. If it feels like its going to be severe, I'll pull over and check my load. Adjust to make it more even. Check tire pressure. On those 1% that I feel wobble coming, that will usually fix it. I do this because I had a Goldwing years ago that was prone to the hippo dance and I hated it. Its better (in my opinion) to see if it's there in a safe known test than to find out by surprise...

===============================================

I should add that a little throttle usually will cure a mild wobble. Last thing you want to do is brake hard. Bikes that have a "tendency" to wobble will show it hands free in a deceleration. Meaning it won't show up if you have a cruise or throttle lock on, but let it go to idle and start decerating and boom there it is. Anyway - sorry for long winded on this. My point is it's best to discover a wobble before it sneaks up on you. Or, like I said, 99% of the time you will KNOW it's not there and can put it out of your mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, congrats on your new bike!

I'm 5'6" and female. Am going from a Suzuki C50 (805) at 550 lbs, to a 2006 Street Glide at 750+ lbs. I haven't gotten to ride it yet (bought in Dec. and put straight into storage), but don't expect any trouble. Okay, that isn't quite right, the only trouble I expect is trying to back it up in our bumpy, sloped yard.

I'm 5'6" and female. Am going from a Suzuki C50 (805) at 550 lbs, to a 2006 Street Glide at 750+ lbs. I haven't gotten to ride it yet (bought in Dec. and put straight into storage), but don't expect any trouble. Okay, that isn't quite right, the only trouble I expect is trying to back it up in our bumpy, sloped yard.

If you haven't already done it, a HD Reach seat and thicker soled boots will help you immensely. Also, try to park so backing up isn't necessary, if at all possible.

If you haven't already done it, a HD Reach seat and thicker soled boots will help you immensely. Also, try to park so backing up isn't necessary, if at all possible.

The bike already has a different seat on it, will have to see how well it works before I make any changes.

I don't have a choice in backing up - I have to do that to get it in the shed. No biggie, the hubby will do it for me if I need him to, just prefer to do it myself!

The bike already has a different seat on it, will have to see how well it works before I make any changes.

I don't have a choice in backing up - I have to do that to get it in the shed. No biggie, the hubby will do it for me if I need him to, just prefer to do it myself!

You could always spend some $$$ and install a reverse gear!
:D

Went from Sportster to Street Glide & actually found the FLHX balances better than the XL. Added weight is one thing, but how it's distributed is another. You'll find out the touring frame handles quite well after getting used to the difference(s). Take things slow & might want to find a large open lot to get the feel before running down the freeway. Enjoy that new scoot!

My wife had a simalr sort of problem she managed to get round all her difficulties by grumping at me till i sorted a nice smooth even route for her to move her bike on
200 2ft x 2ft x 2" paving slabs 3 tons sand and about 3 months of hard graft digging and moving all the soil and gravel to get a all the levels correct and a gentle even slope in the right places
i am glad i did it then because i couldnt do it now

Brian

Like Brian said, you have to prepare the area for your new ride...learn to not just pull into a space without considering backing it in if on a slope. Also, that bike leans fairly low on the jiffy stand, so if parking on a slight incline, angle the bike so it leans less into the the stand as leaning the bike back up will take effort otherwise. These little details may catch you unaware, as the H-D will be DIFFERENT. So do plan your parking spot, method of getting up that inclined path/driveway...and turn the bike around so you can just pull out, and practice your backing up routine if your parking setup is this way...ahhh the details!

Back