free website stats program My new HD - I want Spring | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

My new HD - I want Spring

That is what my buddy said "You think you are bitten now just wait until you ride it". So I have been researching as much as I can on this great site. This site has a lot of great information. I just wish I never read the wobble thread. No I am nervous about that but I am sure its just me being paranoid..I have never wanted the Spring to come so much in my life. It will be Christmas all over again...

Dont let that wobble worry you too much there are many fixes for this and you may not even have this as a major problem:s

:woe Hello and welcome to the Forum and to the Land Harley-ownership! You'll be just fine getting used to the bike. I found significant changes and adjustments were needed from riding my metric, all of which were gladly made. Tho the Deuce is heavier, it is more easily backed into and out of parking spaces and such because of the lower stance and lower center of gravity. Overall, the highway riding is SO much more comfortable. The torque available is so nice... just rolling into the throttle vs. dropping 1-2 or 3 gears to accelerate as needed YOWZE!
Physically the major issue was the severe facial cramps from grinning so much when I rode it! They're not gone yet, but are less painful. But now, with it put away for winter, I face the whole thing again in the spring! Maybe we should look into getting a training program posted to get our faces into shape for Spring? *LOL*

Enjoy it, maybe as a fellow Upstate NYer, our paths will cross! Ride safe! :rider

:woe Hello and welcome to the Forum and to the Land Harley-ownership! You'll be just fine getting used to the bike. I found significant changes and adjustments were needed from riding my metric, all of which were gladly made. Tho the Deuce is heavier, it is more easily backed into and out of parking spaces and such because of the lower stance and lower center of gravity. Overall, the highway riding is SO much more comfortable. The torque available is so nice... just rolling into the throttle vs. dropping 1-2 or 3 gears to accelerate as needed YOWZE!
Physically the major issue was the severe facial cramps from grinning so much when I rode it! They're not gone yet, but are less painful. But now, with it put away for winter, I face the whole thing again in the spring! Maybe we should look into getting a training program posted to get our faces into shape for Spring? *LOL*

Enjoy it, maybe as a fellow Upstate NYer, our paths will cross! Ride safe! :rider

Liverpool NY I want to ride

I just wish I never read the wobble thread. No I am nervous about that but I am sure its just me being paranoid.

Don't lose a single minute's sleep over the wobble. It all depends on how you ride, set up, and maintain your bike. I've ridden my Street Glide for 3 years now and never experienced anything like the wobble descriptions I've read about. And I know I'm not the only one. If it really concerns you, you can add a stabilizer system for a little over $100.

ickysticky74,
Don't worry about riding a bigger bike! So many people get wrapped up on "starting out" on a smaller bike and then making the "jump" to a bigger engine and weight. Not saying you are getting "wrapped up" just don't listen to all the guys that tell you to learn on increasingly larger motorcycles.

I took the MSF course 3 years ago and the instructors had me scared stiff about getting a big bike and told me to start on a 750cc max.......glad I listened to my buddies that actually ride harleys before making my decision. I got my first motorcyle last spring.....2010 superglide which is 1584cc....double what the MSF safety hounds recommended and I am glad I did. The only experience I had was on a 250cc honda riding circles in a parking lot and I drove it right home from the dealership!!!!!
HD bikes are not like the sport bikes.....they are not going to kick out on you or wheely when you flick the throttle......they are smooth power and a blast to ride! Just respect the size of the machine you bought and be carefull until you are used to it!

Hope this puts you at ease!

ENJOY IT......don't stress out.....and good luck.

Icky,
Low mileage, a good deal and an Electra Glide too? Congratulations! You'll love the Harley. I went from a 500 cc Triumph many years ago to a Fat Boy and it was like starting over in some ways...but so much better. Love the torque and sound. Let's face it, life is better on a Harley. Ride Ride Ride. Take it easy and enjoy.
Ismael

Thanks everyone. I know I will be fine I am just going stir crazy and over analyzing everything because I cooped up in a house. Once I get on that thing and ride for the first time I am going to have a smile form ear to ear. Super Cheesing out...

I went from a Kaw zn700 to my '75 glide. What a diferrence. I still have my metric but that is only kept as an emergency back-up And yes, the changeover found me also lugging. I guess it is a rite of passage !

Icky - I went from a Honda CRF 250R dirt bike to a 2005 Road King about 2 years ago. Prior to the purchase, I took a Basic Riders Class at the local community college to aid in getting my drivers license endorsement. One thing they pushed was learning how to "walk your bike". You may be surprised how you have to manage the weight of the bike in parking situations and the different slopes you'll deal with at low speeds. Practice this and wear some good boots. I'm sure you'll do fine, just respect the bike and do a lot of riding early on to gain more experience. There's nothing like it.

Back