free website stats program My Helmet's strap melted | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

My Helmet's strap melted

Thanks for all the replies. I know this will not be my last mistake and hopefully they will all be like this one, small.

Now I'm off to clean the melted residue off of my exhaust.

I have found that VERY fine steel wool (0000) works very well in these situations.

TQ

Instructions for Strap Replacement:
1. Remove remaining pieces of strap.
2. Carefully and evenly, coat entire inside of helmet with correctly mixed 2-part J B Weld.
3. Press helmet on head firmly, and hold in place for 30 to 45 minutes until adhesive is set.
4. Let cure overnight.
5. You're all set...go for a ride, amaze your friends!:D

LOL............... My head is already full of lead it doesn't need moe. :)

I called Bell since I didn't get a email back. They pretty much said the helmet is now a flower pot because the strap is one piece. So I ordered the Bell Drifter again but the black hide one. Since it's going to rain every stinking day this week I can't ride so now I have something to wait for untill the weater breaks.

LOL............... My head is already full of lead it doesn't need moe. :)

I called Bell since I didn't get a email back. They pretty much said the helmet is now a flower pot because the strap is one piece. So I ordered the Bell Drifter again but the black hide one. Since it's going to rain every stinking day this week I can't ride so now I have something to wait for untill the weater breaks.

I admire your sang froid.This happened to me,i would HAVE to vent my spleen on something!And then of course i'd be up for MORE money to repair the damage to a wall.

I never make a mistake...oh ....wait a minute..I remember I once did make a mistake....oh Darn...now thats two!

Thanks for all the replies. I know this will not be my last mistake and hopefully they will all be like this one, small.

Now I'm off to clean the melted residue off of my exhaust.

Try this. Spray the area with Cold Oven oven cleaner. The mess should come right off after a good soaking.

My new helmet was delivered yesterday and I used it today. It's a lot nicer then the other one so I'm happy having to shell out more money.

Call me cynical,but I would have a good upholsterer stitch up a new strap and keep it for a back-up. Bell can't tell you that for liability reasons,and they sold another helmet........yes,my wife calls me cheap also :p

Call me cynical,but I would have a good upholsterer stitch up a new strap and keep it for a back-up. Bell can't tell you that for liability reasons,and they sold another helmet........yes,my wife calls me cheap also :p

I was thinking this also, I think actually if done right might even be as strong or stronger then their design.

Back