free website stats program My first oil change.. mazal tov. & some questions | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

My first oil change.. mazal tov. & some questions

I ask because at the parts dept I saw a orange/plastic gizmo used for changing the primary oil and couldnt figure what its all about.
Rgds, Shawn

The reason they sell the orange/plastic gizmo: If you take of the primary cover you will see. The stack of clutch plates comes very close to the inside of the cover. There is not much room between the primary housing and the clutch stack. There is a little "cut out" to make it a little easier to add oil, but you have to pour slowly. If you rush it it will run down the side of the primary. Some times it is tough to get the last 100mls or so out of the bottle. It is a specialty item. You can make do with a plastic water bottle or a small piece of PVC pipe cut in half length wise.

If you go on to attempt the primary oil change, don't forget the #27 torx bit for the screws. And while you are in there, it is pretty easy to make sure your clutch is adjusted correctly. Change the fluids while warm but adjust the clutch when cold.

Also, $75 seems a little high for 4 quarts of synthetic oil. I am not sure of the Canadian conversion, but you can get a 6 pack of Mobile 1 for $60 through the internet, if you can't find it locally. I ususally pick up 12 (enough for 3 oil changes) when it goes on sale.

Congratulations on getting your hands dirty! I think the biggest benfit is that you look at things a bit more closely. That is a big plus for safety and finding an issue before it becomes significant.

I'd Chime in here to ask IF you have the Operators Manual that comes with the bike? If so LOOK in it as IT does give a lot of NEED to Know Information..
MOST of the easy stuff that HD charges a Arm and Leg for is Answered or Shown in the Book.

Change intervals and quantities are there.. AND PICTURES with words showing Where the different places are on Your Bike... Can't beat that..

As far as OILS and LUBES and GEAR OILS go READ and You decide OR go with MY recommendations:

Engine 20/50 Full synthetic oil..... Redline, Mobil-1 V-Twin Both good choices

Primary, Wet clutch approved...... Formal+ by HD or MTL/V-twin primary by redline, Spectro primary are good choices

Tranny GEAR OIL.... Redline Shockproof Heavy is MY choice .. Spectro another

READ your Book.....

signed....BUBBIE

i saw it.. held it... drooled over it... but they wanted $90 for it.. so I said maybe next time. But I'll get it.

This is one thing that you don't want a substite for. We all look for better prices or better products but a HD service manual specific to you're model there is no substite for. If you buy any other any other manual you'll just be wasting you're money, you might as well just suck it up and buy it in the first place.

always wondered,why do we pour the primary oil in the derby cover and not the chain tension-er inspection cover? seems like it would be allot easier

always wondered,why do we pour the primary oil in the derby cover and not the chain tension-er inspection cover? seems like it would be allot easier

It would be more difficult to watch the oil level on the clutch hub. I never like to just dump a pre measured amount in without seeing the level.

On the older bikes I used the inspection cover to fill and checked the level with the derby cover off, the new bikes dont have inspection covers

i filled the primary oil through the chain inspection hole. Will the oil go to the clutch compartment ? All of it ?
Shall i reopen the clutch inspection cover to add more oil where it was supposed to be added in the first place ?

i filled the primary oil through the chain inspection hole. Will the oil go to the clutch compartment ? All of it ?
Shall i reopen the clutch inspection cover to add more oil where it was supposed to be added in the first place ?

As the primary is one compartment it does not matter where you put the oil in however to check the level of oil you need to remove the clutch inspection cover with the bike upright the lower part of the clutch should be breaking the surface of the oil

Brian

Congrats!
+ 1 on the shop manual. It will answer the majority of your questions as they pop up down the road.

Have fun working on your ride.

Back