free website stats program My first oil change.. mazal tov. & some questions | Harley Davidson Forums

My first oil change.. mazal tov. & some questions

israguard

Hi Guys,
Well I finally got my hands a bit dirty. Im a mid life crisis yuppy who usually just has the dealer pick up the bike, do what he has to and bring bike back. After reading quite a few comments here & getting a verbal beating from a few fellow riders.. went to dealership. Spent $75 on synthetic oil, filter & filter key and within 15 minutes I was done with my first ever HD oil change. I also saved a few hundred $$$. I do however have 2 questions:
1) What is a "primary" ? What is its purpose and is it the same as the transmission or part of it ?.

I ask because at the parts dept I saw a orange/plastic gizmo used for changing the primary oil and couldnt figure what its all about.

I will be doing any/all oil changes from now on so hope someone can explain it to me as if I was 5yrs old.

Lastly, is it necessary to change transmission oil after bike has sat around fror 6 months with no activity ?.Or unlike engine oil, should it only be changed at the 10,000 Kilometer point ?.

Thanks in advance for your help & patience reading this thread.
Rgds, Shawn

1) What is a "primary" ? What is its purpose and is it the same as the transmission or part of it ?.

I ask because at the parts dept I saw a orange/plastic gizmo used for changing the primary oil and couldnt figure what its all about.

I will be doing any/all oil changes from now on so hope someone can explain it to me as if I was 5yrs old.

Lastly, is it necessary to change transmission oil after bike has sat around fror 6 months with no activity ?.Or unlike engine oil, should it only be changed at the 10,000 Kilometer point ?.

Thanks in advance for your help & patience reading this thread.
Rgds, Shawn

The primary is that big thingy that is on the left side of the bike and connects the side of the engine with the transmission. The train plug is in the bottom and it usually takes from one quart to 38 ounces depending on the year and model of the bike.

The trans isn't as critical as changing engine oil but on the other hand it's only usually about a quart of GEAR OIL to change it out.

I do all three oils when I service at 2500-3000 miles or before winter lay up.

Good luck if you run into trouble report back here and we will get you squared away:s

Congrats on taking the plunge and getting your hands dirty. You are now officially a motorcyclist.

Your next step is to invest in a Harley Davidson shop manual specific to your motorcycle.

Not cheap but it will be the best money you ever spent.

i saw it.. held it... drooled over it... but they wanted $90 for it.. so I said maybe next time. But I'll get it.

congrats on doing your own maintenance, everybody has there own way of doing things like service intervals different brand oils etc. get yourself a service manual and just do as it says and you will be just fine. and again CONGRATS!

Back