free website stats program My custom handlebars | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

My custom handlebars

Thanx. Used to build racecars.
WAP.gif

UPDATE
Well as usual with my luck after I mounted the bars that I made on the bike I felt like I wanted them slightly longer. UGH. Oh well cut them and fit a thin pipe inside them and added an 1 1/4" piece to lengthen the rise and helping the reach a bit also. Fired up the Tig welder and burned them together. Put them back on the bike, AWESOME, so glad I went thru the added aggravation. Also while I was at it I took an one inch steel ball and tiged it to a 1/4-20 cap screw then drilled and taped the bars to screw in the ball. Threw a locknut on it so I could keep it from spinning. In doing so I can loose that ugly u bolt and big black ball mount for the ram mount which I use for my smartphone (which is my GPS,Ipod and cell phone. I ran out of time the bars still need a little cleanup/grinding/sanding but I hope to get them to the coater or plater this week.

Attachments

• Bar Add.jpg
    Bar Add.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Ram ball.jpg
    Ram ball.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Ram munt.jpg
    Ram munt.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 83
Nice looking job and great recovery! Be sure to post pix of the finished product!

Hey hotrodjohn! Look nice. And you don't see too many "taller" bars on Ultras. I am curious as to your dimensions. How tall are you and what is your arm length? When you get a ride I am sure we all would be curious as to how they worked out for you. Did they change what you wanted changed?

Hey hotrodjohn! Look nice. And you don't see too many "taller" bars on Ultras. I am curious as to your dimensions. How tall are you and what is your arm length? When you get a ride I am sure we all would be curious as to how they worked out for you. Did they change what you wanted changed?

I tried the ergo back bars and the Harley batwing pull back bars. Hated the Ergo and the pullbacks seemed a bit closer than I wanted. I had risers on my roadking and loved them. I know I made these taller but they also are closer but not to close. I am Short around 5'9'' with a 30' inseam dont know my reach offhand. The stock bars weren't terrible just felt like I was reaching a bit.

I am also 5'9" but have a 32" inseam. I think my arms are somewhat "long" for my height. On my 2008 Ultra I feel like the stock bars are extremely to close. I put 12.5" apehangers on a Road King and really lliked them. I don't really want to go that tall on my Ultra but I think in the near future I am going to be looking for slightly taller and increased reach to stretch my arms out some. Thanks for your helpful info and again, GREAT Job!

It's funny how seats and handlebars can be so very different from rider to rider. I hope what I made for myself makes me happy. What feels good in the garage may not feel so great after two hours on the road. I'm hoping we get one of those teaser days in February to give them a test ride. I will keep u all posted.
WAP.gif

I dropped of the handlebars at the powder coater yesterday. I went with the color that matches the black on the controls. I would have preffered chrome but the three places I called said 10 weeks. I figure this way I will be happy with the new bars. only $30.00 to coat them and I can rework them if needed. Maybe chrome next winter,lol:D

I just mocked the bars and fairing up to figure out what I already new. Yup have to add to all the wiring to get them inside the bars. Ugh:D I think the powder coat on the bars looks great. they called it %40. matches the semi gloss black on the controls. I am really happy with the painted inner fairing:D There is a slightly better picture in my Color Rite post

Attachments

• IMAG0327.jpg
    IMAG0327.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 70
Back