free website stats program My custom handlebars | Harley Davidson Forums

My custom handlebars

hotrodjohn

I have tried two sets of bars on my ultra and still have not found what I am looking for. One set of ergo back bars and the Harley pull back bars. I decided to make my own. I cut up a set of stock ultra bars and modified them to where I think I will be comfortable. I ordered some 1 1/4' stock and started making my own bars. I turned down the ends to accept one inch stock bars. I am using the middle part that clamps to the triple tree and the throttle and left handgrip part from stock bars. I am making the part that goes between the two. The first two pictures show the lathe and the adapters I made to fit the one inch pipe. The next one shows the jig I made to get the angles correct and the last is a shot of the bars half done in a vise at about the angle they will be on the bike. The bars will look like they are 1 and 1/4" because you wont see any of the stock one inch bar after the controls are on and the grips.

Looking at that last picture. I moved the bars down in the vise after that shot. They are not at the riding angle in that picture. Oops.

Attachments

• Relief cut.jpg
    Relief cut.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 135
  • lathe.jpg
    lathe.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 138
  • Jig1.jpg
    Jig1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 179
  • Vise shot.jpg
    Vise shot.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 182
Last edited by a moderator:
You gonna powder coat them or chrome them? Put a shot of them up when they are complete and mounted. They look good so far.

Have tools...will manufacture - great job & perfect way to get the part(s) right. Definitely want to see the finished product.

I think I will powder coat. I have the option to further alter them if needed and then they could be re coated pretty easily.
WAP.gif

Here are a few more pics. The first one shows jiging up to cut the compound angle. Was a lot easier in the jig with a 4.5" angle grinder with a cut off wheel than to use my saw. The second is the jig for the easy angle on the bottom of the bars and the third is another vise shot. Heading out to the garage (heated,its 15 degrees out brrr) to finish them up and hopefully get them to the coater theis week:D:D

Attachments

• IMAG0601.jpg
    IMAG0601.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMAG0595.jpg
    IMAG0595.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 65
  • IMAG0596.jpg
    IMAG0596.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 79
Well all to be done now is to see if they fit! Few more pics. The final assembly jig and look they even lay flat.:D

Attachments

• Final weld jig.jpg
    Final weld jig.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Final 2.jpg
    Final 2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Lay flat.jpg
    Lay flat.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 74
  • lay flat 2.jpg
    lay flat 2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 86
Kudos to you, sir - awesome job!!! Can't wait to see them coated & permantely mounted. This might be a "profitable" hobby...???

Back