free website stats program My Cams experience 2010 flhtk pratical this vs that | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

My Cams experience 2010 flhtk pratical this vs that

I have a woods 6 in my RK and it is noisey but makes great power from 2-5K and made the bike much more rideable than stock.

Don't discount the Andrews tw21 or even the 26. They are already around the 30* mark and they pull very hard from 1800 right up to about 5000. I have had a few HD cams and always found them to be a bit too much of one end or the other of the chart. That torque always suckers the high revving cam users? When you drop the hammer (surprisingly even in 6th gear) she just winds up smoothly and you are gone. They others have to downshift to get in the power band, then they realize they didn't shift down far enough and they bang it down another gear but ...ooooopssss too late you are already gone . My two cents. :D

Has anyone used the new SE 259 cam? HD engineers designed it specifically for the 103 engine and this spring i am told it will have factory maps.

Just curious.

BUBBIE's install

My SE 255 Cams install went EASY.. Hardest part is to get the exhaust off the 09 FLHR.. Started to Just loosen but OFF totally is the way to go..
I sniped the old push-rods out and went with the fully adjustable slender tapered SE from HD,,,,,NICE!

I read an article that inspired Steve07 to install SE254 cams in his 103" motor and using the 4*+- gear to LOWER (earlier) his Closing of the INTAKE Valves...
The SE 254's Intake valves Closes Later (bigger number) than the SE 255 does so the 4* gear is needed to LOWER this number... He states He can LIFT the front wheel OFF the ground in 1 and 2 gears by a twist of the throttle..:rofl GO Stve07 GO! ....YAHOO!

When I was reading the information on the cams I wanted to install,,,,,, I Looked When the intake CLOSES and that number should be close to 30*.....
LOOK at the bigger (meaning More duration) Cams and compare the closing of the intake Valve..... Later closing show Bigger numbers.... If it says intake valve closes at 37 or higher, the 4* gear is needed TO LOWER the closing number on the INTAKE Valve... THUS MORE LOW END TORQUE.....
Now Mind You, YOU ARE changing the WHOLE cams intended engineering,,,, so careful here... That is why YOU want to buy the Cams to do the Low End Torque in the first place....

On the SE255 cams that I installed, I would ONLY use the 4* to make MY valve number Close Later (bigger than 20*).... in other words, MY thoughts were to RAISE the degree that the Intake valve closes to Move UP my RPM power band.....(=Less low end torque).....

Now mind you This Is Just To TRY... When??? MUCH later cause I ALSO am happy with Where It Is Right Now.(.) HANG ON with Both Hands!

Steve07 article is a good read and He may POST a link to it here... I'll try to look it up and add it also if he doesn't....

It is easy to see the difference in Cams by LOOKING at the """intake closing""" values to see if IT is a HIGH RPM or LOW RPM cam , in developing Torque....

Yes there IS more to the cam than Just the intake closing,,, But that is the KEY for Torque at the LOW END RPM....

When you Raise the CLOSING of the intake valve (adding Higher numbers over 30*) You can get More Low End Torque only by ADDING Higher Compression so IT is a Trade Off....

The SE 255 cams Close intake at 20*(now that is Early) and that IS For Low End Torque...
I thought to TRY the 4* in REVERSE to make the valve close Later...(loosing low end torque) but the more I study this approach the Less I Think it will Accomplish anything but Move the RPM and Torque Ratio UP a bit and that is NOT what I'm looking for in my Heavy bike...

Hope this Helps some of you out in understanding the Hows and Whens for low end torque..

signed....BUBBIE

GLAD this thread came back to LIFE

I am Still very HAPPY with the SE 255's BUT I made a # mistake on the intake valve closing # it is NOT 20* but 25* on the stock cam. The -4* gear makes it From 25* to 29* intake close (moving all Up ahead by 4 numbers)

I Have the WRONG Numbers on the STOCK SE 255 Cams CLOSING the number should be 25* not 20 as I put into this above Post.. Sorry but the rest of the information is correct IMHO

signed....BUBBIE

I would of liked it to be changed by a Moderator,,,,but that is not the way the mods work; by changing the mistake PLEASE taking out the 20* in a few places and inserting 25*(correct close number) ,,,, I have done it here....

Maybe the ticket would be to find a cam that was between the Tw6's and the 255's.. Anyone know of such a critter?

By using the -4* pinion gear by andrews,,,, You can change out the SE 255's and be REAL close to the 48H cams... That takes your intake close from 25* to 29* and it Will move your cam RPM band UP a little.. The 48H is not a cam for me but the timing is. I like the 550 lift and Quiet sound of the SE cam.

I plan to do this when I go to 103" and don't forget to install Pressure Relief Valves as the HIGHER compression is Hard on the Stock Starter and Stock Compensator, giving Kick Backs after a fuel stop and start,,,, giving MOST of the thinking the SE compensator is better and I don't believe that. I'll stick with the STOCK Compensator.

signed....BUBBIE

You talk about changing the cam timing to get more low end torque. Would it not just (change the torque curve to a lower RPM). In order to have more torque, you have to have more HP. I would think that you would loose HP by retarding the cam.
More HP = More torque.
Im I wrong?

You talk about changing the cam timing to get more low end torque. Would it not just (change the torque curve to a lower RPM). In order to have more torque, you have to have more HP. I would think that you would loose HP by retarding the cam.
More HP = More torque.
Im I wrong?
When I said Use the +- 4* pinion gear to change out the cam on the SE 255's .. -4* gear will Move the RPM Band UP just about 500RPM (I've been told) and move the intake closing from 25* to 29*.. At - 4* on the 255's, You are also changing WHEN the cam comes On and Off the RPM band...

The Idea is to Mimic the 48H cam Without Buying it(you already have the 255's installed)... The 255's work great in the 96" bike but notice TOO Much compression when going 103"...

The 103" Will have More Volume so it will give More Compression,,, So by changing the timing of the SE cam, you can accomplish two things by moving the intake valve closing OUT to 29*.. That is it is easier on the motor for starting(lessen compression) and the power band (RPM) moves UP also.

Look at a BIG cam,,, called Bigger using Higher RPM to come-on, Notice the close on the intake is usually Late, Showing A Bigger number like 40/44/48 this shows you NEED more compression to have low end power to come on at the LOW end RPM...

That is why you see a cam call out for RPM Range,,, Bigger is Higher RPM before the Cam Comes-On..

signed....BUBBIE

Back