free website stats program Mustang Seats | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Mustang Seats

I was just talking with someone who had the gel seat and they said that it was great as long as it didn't get cold, then they felt like they were sitting on a block of ice.

I had a Mustang on my Suzuki C90 and was very comfortable. The difference between the stock and Mustang was night and day, even down to the seating position. The Mustang put you about an inch higher and an inch closer to the bars... not sure if the same is true about how they fit an HD.

Likewise, when I changed out the Suzuki seat with the Mustang seat it was significantly more comfortable, like sitting on a pillow compared to that hard stock seat. On my WideGlide however I decided on the Tallboy HD seat for about half the cost. That Mustang seat dosen't owe me a nickel. It was a great seat, got my wife to ride with me and as i've said before it's all about her. :s

Last edited:
I tried a mustang seat many years ago and found they had very poor quality control. After returning 3 seats I finally went with a Corbin and had no problems after that.

When the Mustang seat was made the rear mounting tab was off set to one side by almost an inch which moved the seat to one side on the bike. Also the stitching wasn't even which made the seat look even more lopsided.

The dealer where I bought it told me that I was just too fussy. :lolrolling

Needless to say I don't do business there any more or with Mustang either.

I have the Mustang solo with back rest on my 09 SG love it. Had the same one on the past 3 different bikes.

Ive got a mustang on my king and its well cool,but if you want to be real comfy go get a airhawk seat cushion made by ROHO,they make a few different models to suit different seats and they are comfy,oh and the neoprene one's are the best. Hope that helps, Rgds J

I put 22K on my stock seat to include a 4K round trip to Sturgis before I spent the $200 for my Mustang Solo. As soon as I put it on I was mad. I should have made this purchase right after doing the Stage 1. I waited way too long to do this. Never again, a Mustang seat goes on before the next bike is a month old.

I rode from D.C. to Chicago last month, 13 hours each way, without the slightest discomfort from the seat.

Im a big fan of Mustang seats. I have also tried a lot of different seat options through the years. Based on my experience, here are my feelings on seats in regard to HD touring bikes. Im 6' 1" tall, 34 inch inseam, weight 197. Wife is 5' 4" and 135:

1. Stock HD seats: Ahem. They (EDIT). They are cheaply built, use cheap foam, and flimsy plastic pans. The foam feels good in the dealership on the showroom floor, but you quickly find out it collapses under you a hundred miles into the day, and you are dang near riding on the pan. 5000 miles into the life of the seat, the covers are stretched out, the foam is collapsed, and the seat is shot.

2. HD Sundowner: This is the one HD seat I would recommend. Its still somewhat cheaply built, but the design is good enough that it works, and its a good value for the money spent. Prior to 08, the passenger section however, was fairly small and firm for any long distance comfort. In 08, they widened the passengers perch (from 12 to 14 inches) , and softened it up. For $300, this is good seat to try. It did 80 percent of what I needed it to do, but I wanted a bit more. This seat also sits you lower than most HD touring seats, helpful if you have a short inseam.

3. Ultimate Seats. This is a Canadian company that made its name making seats for the Honda VTX (worst stock seat EVAR!) and expanded into other makes, offering HD seats starting a few years back. Their claim to fame is that the seats are made with Memory Foam (think Temperpedic mattresses) If you want a soft, cushy seat, this is your best bet IMHO. They have a well designed rider backrest, and the seat pans are well made. They offer 1 and now 2 piece designs for HD touring bikes. I tried the 1 piece, and the shape did not work very well for me. Frankly, its a pretty ugly seat as well. The new 2 piece offerings look a lot better, and from the photos I would say they are a bit more rounded in the sculpting of the seating area.(which I think they needed) Ultimate offerers a 14 day return policy if you order direct from them. Return the seat within 14 days, undamaged, for a full refund (less shipping) if you don't like it.

4. Corbin. Hard as a rock. Really. They call their seats "saddles" and that is exactly what they are like. If you want a firm, almost HARD seat, this is for you. To be fair, some people swear by them. My theory is that if you want a very firm seat, and you get one that fits your butt, you will love them. Otherwise, your (EDIT). They claim to need 2-5k miles to "break in" to be comfortable. I think its so that you've had the seat too long to return it once you realize the mistake you made. I've owned 2. (on different bikes) There wont be a third. But seriously, they have a loyal following, but if your after cushy, this is not your seat.

5. Mustang. This for me, is the closest to a perfect seat. Available in 1 piece in two sizes (wide touring and sport touring, which a bit narrower) and 2 piece designs, which can be run with or without the passenger section on the bike. Both styles offer rider backrests, which is one of the best in the business, though I think like most rider backrests its a bit too wide for the passengers comfort. The one piece seats use a fender mount backrest, and can also be used with HD rider backrests for this reason. The two piece seats have the backrest receiver built into the seat. You can get the solo seat with our without the backrest. My advice is to get it with, even if you rarely think you will use it, because you CANNOT add it later. The offer 2 styles of passenger pillions, one for use without rider backrests, where the nose of the pillion overlaps and forms a lumbar support for the rider, and one that is recessed at the nose to allow the rider backrest to be used.

Mustang seats are a bit on the firm side, and as such provide good support for a long day of riding. They are not HARD like a Corbin, just not mushy like stock HD seats. The one piece wide touring Mustang is about the same size overall as a stock Ultra seat, and sits you at about the same height and distance to the bars. The solo/pillion sits you a good bit lower, and further back. Mustangs will initially feel a bit too firm. After 1-2k miles, they soften up about 5-10 percent. (much more than a Corbin ever will) If you buy DIRECT from Mustang, you have 10 days to return the seat, undamaged, for a full refund less shipping. ONLY if you buy direct from them.

In trying out various seats for my 07 SG, I put together this web page that shows several seats and their relative seating positions. Keep in mind these are 07 seats. 08 and later may and in some cases HAVE changed somewhat (width of the rear of the Sundowner) but I think this gives a good idea of how the various brands sit in relation to each other. Sadly, I never had the chance to measure a stock Ultra seat, and thankfully, I never had the chance to measure a Corbin.

Seat comparison

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW,

Having said all that, those are MY opinions. With seats, what works great for one person, . I would encourage you however, if your looking at Mustang, to buy direct. Better to pay $50 more and be able to return it in 10 days, than to save $50, and hate the seat and be stuck with it. I promise you, you will loose more than the $50 you saved, if you have to resell the seat in the event you don't like it.

But if you go that route, be aware they want the seat back in pristine condition. Cover it with saran wrap, cover the mounting tab with tape, even put a towel down UNDER The seat before mounting, so you don't mark ANYTHING up, then try it for a few days. DONT mount or try the backrest until your reasonably sure your happy with the seat. Same goes for Ultimate seats if you decide to try one.

I was able to return to both Mustang and Ultimate, but I was STUPID careful with the seats while had them. They went back looking like they never came out of the box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back