free website stats program Must-Have Tools? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Must-Have Tools?

I also pour a little in my oil prior to a oil change, add about a oz take her for a warm up ride and drain out the old oil. Helps clean out the bottom end as well.

:s +1, or Marvel Mystery Oil:D Deep cleaning and it smells good:p

When I worked for GM dealers we had Top Engine Cleaner that we used to pour thru the Intake to clean the intake valves, ports and combustion chambers. It worked great and stopped a lot of detonation, helped increase fuel mileage and performance. Sea-Foam I believe is the same thing or at least it looks and smells the same. If anyone has torn down a set of heads lately they know about the gunk that collects on the intake valves. That stuff would clean them up nicely. I would start with a warm engine and very slowly pour it in the throttle body them when I got 2/3 of a can poured in I would pour it in and stall the engine. Let it set for about 1/2 hr and pour another can thru it. After that I would take it out and twist it's tail a little. You can do a multiport engine with a mass air flow sensor by using a piece of hose and allowing the engine to pull it in by hooking up to a vacuum source behind the throttle body.

You have some real good replies with the sea foam, MMO, but I would be lost without my bike jack. A good set of dial calipers and a mag. base with a dial indicator comes in handy.

A torque wrench or two. 3/8 and 1/2 drive 20 to 250 foot lbs, and 10 to 100 inch pounds.

these two got me hook on Seafaom as well...as for as the tools go, i find a cold beer close by helps me think things through...so i guess you could call it a tool :D

Lol, this is awesome. I've been getting around looking for a decent torque wrench. I want a good one, but not the best one lol. got some seafoam, havent tried it yet. I will though. learning a bit more about the workings of my scoot. and yes, a cold beer definitely counts as a tool! I usually have 2 or 3 of them around for good measure!

I also pour a little in my oil prior to a oil change, add about a oz take her for a warm up ride and drain out the old oil. Helps clean out the bottom end as well.

Are you saying to do this like right before an oil change? or like a few days prior?

Last edited by a moderator:
On the subject of torque wrenches I currently have 5
2 x beam torque wrenches I got one for 21st birthday the other was my fathers and would have been in the trash if I had not saved it
1 x wee clicker torque wrench 3/8" sq drive for wee numbers
1 x big clicker torque wrench 1/2" sq drive for big numbers
1 x bi-directional clicker torque wrench 1/2 sq drive the square drive can be pushed through the head so that it functions correctly on reverse threads (Clutch hub nut and Gearbox pulley nut etc) although most clicker type torque wrenches have a reverse action as a ratchet they do not click when going in reverse

Brian

Back