free website stats program Mt. Lemmon black ice | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Mt. Lemmon black ice

Black ice is bad stuff...along with sand & wet leaves. Other than crawling across that patch - not much warning. Guess he should've been on better alert w/the road conditions & scanning far ahead for dark spots on roadway.

Yes, the fingerless gloves & loafers were a nice touch too...:D

I''ve ridden Mount Lemmon several times and you have to know the roadway. Anywhere there is shade, there can be black ice. If you're riding it you should expect it. There can also be rocks in the roadway and water running across it in spots too. Also, as stated previously it can be warm in the valley and quite cooler on the mountain ride, so it's not unusual to see people in all different levels of dress up there. It's a fun ride, but also one that can hurt you if you're not paying attention.

I can sure sympathize with the poor guy. I ran into plenty of snowy spots on my cross country adventure. The Sonora Pass in CA and Crater Lake in OR pop into my mind. In both instances there was unbearable heat by the end of the day and I had gone miles down the road. It sure does happen quick, that's for sure. Fortunately I didn't have such a situation, but I was super careful to ensure it didn't.

IMG_6533-W720.jpg
IMG_6351-W720.jpg

Happy New Year to all!

Semper Fi

It was a scary video for me. It shows just how fast a pleasant ride can turn ugly. It doesn't have to be ice. It can be a careless cage, deer or other road debris.
Ride Aware and always dress for the fall. Helmet, boots gloves and leather.

Back