free website stats program MSP Remote Oil Filter Install | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

MSP Remote Oil Filter Install

to add to what I posted above, it appears you may be able to buy the components you need (filter mount, hose, barbs, etc) for around 50 bucks or less, if you are considering this mod but don't have the cash for the nice kit Dolt posted. My only concern would be how/where its mounted to the frame. Admittedly, this might be a pain, and isn't nearly as convenient as the nice kit Dolt installed. Thanks Dolt for inspiring one of my many winter projects!

to add to what I posted above, it appears you may be able to buy the components you need (filter mount, hose, barbs, etc) for around 50 bucks or less, if you are considering this mod but don't have the cash for the nice kit Dolt posted. My only concern would be how/where its mounted to the frame. Admittedly, this might be a pain, and isn't nearly as convenient as the nice kit Dolt installed. Thanks Dolt for inspiring one of my many winter projects!

If money is a issue that why risk a Rube Goldberg experiment and run the risk of sudden oil loss and destroy engine. What will you have saved then. Do it right the first time and you will not then have to do it right the second time. And spend a ton of money. That not to say a crash could not also ensue when you try to drive over your own oil slick.......:bigsmiley6:

I don't think your going to find the part that goes to existing filter mount or the new filter mount at your local hardware store :D

I wouldn't take it as nay saying. I think its an awesome idea. I'm just a tight-wad. I've been looking around, and found some other alternative products, as low as around $80 for the whole kit (Deville Cycles). May not be as pretty as yours though :s. Considering cleanup supplies, the $20 plastic funnel, plus the chance of breaking a sensor, you'd almost be crazy not to consider a remote filter. I'm just doing my research... Your post is MUCH appreciated!

Actually, the Deville Cycles kit is $120 for the adapter and the filter mount, hose, clamps, etc. Only problem is finding a remote location to mount the filter. $120 is getting closer to the MSP system but MSP has figured out where to locate the filter and included the mounting hardware in the kit. Just saying..............:small3d012:

If money is a issue that why risk a Rube Goldberg experiment and run the risk of sudden oil loss and destroy engine.

Not trying to reinvent the wheel and make a kit from pvc and duct tape. The MSP kit is really very simple: an adapter, hose/clamps, fittings, frame mount, and a filter mount. These are readily available items made for automotive use. That's all my point was.

I don't think your going to find the part that goes to existing filter mount or the new filter mount at your local hardware store :D

Hardware store, no. Automotive store, YES! They regularly stock these items. The filter adapter you speak of (that MSP uses in their kit) is actually a stock items for auto use and is not proprietary. Their remote mount is, however proprietary, so you would need a way to mount it (universal kits are available or you could fabricate a simple bracket).

Actually, the Deville Cycles kit is $120 for the adapter and the filter mount, hose, clamps, etc. Only problem is finding a remote location to mount the filter. $120 is getting closer to the MSP system but MSP has figured out where to locate the filter and included the mounting hardware in the kit. Just saying..............:small3d012:

Dolt, you are right. I didn't see it didn't include the adapter. You are right as far as the mounting too. There are lots of "universal" mounts out there, but maybe not as nice as your kit. At the end of the day, there is a fine line between saving some money and wasting too much time doing it. Still going to at least look into it, and who knows, may end up with the MSP kit in the end anyway.

The remote filter sounds good to me .As far as the little orange funnel that Harley sells , it has a slightly tapered nipple that the drain hose goes on ,and I have found no way to keep it on .I've tried zip ties ,that makes it come off easier .I've tried the coke bottles ,cardboard ,there is just no good neat way for me ,I think I'll go with the remote filter .Thanks for the tip dolt .

Hardware store, no. Automotive store, YES! They regularly stock these items. The filter adapter you speak of (that MSP uses in their kit) is actually a stock items for auto use and is not proprietary. Their remote mount is, however proprietary, so you would need a way to mount it (universal kits are available or you could fabricate a simple bracket)..

atm33,
Guess I underestimated how much research you've done on this.
Suppose we'll see another thread started soon on your remote filter kit!! :s

atm33,
Guess I underestimated how much research you've done on this.
Suppose we'll see another thread started soon on your remote filter kit!! :s

Ha. Maybe. Either that, or a post about my spectacular failure and destroyed engine as foretold by dbmg...

Back