free website stats program MSP Remote Oil Filter Install | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

MSP Remote Oil Filter Install

Thanks for the link. About $200. Think I'll buy the funnel that fits under the filter and try that first, before justifying the relocation kit. Very cool mod though. Have to bookmark this one.

You can mold your own funnel out of aluminum foil, or cut down a 1 litre plastic coke bottle, and just slide under the filter. Poke a hole in the front of the filter first, and let it drain out onto your homemade funnel. Then there's not much oil left in the filter to make a mess when you remove it.

You can mold your own funnel out of aluminum foil, or cut down a 1 litre plastic coke bottle, and just slide under the filter. Poke a hole in the front of the filter first, and let it drain out onto your homemade funnel. Then there's not much oil left in the filter to make a mess when you remove it.

That's a great idea. Will try the coke bottle idea. That'll save me 20 bucks.

And when you are done, hit it with a little degreaser and give the bike a bath and you will never know you got any oil on the voltage regulator. Plus it gives you a good reason to detail your bike since it's already on the lift!

Thanks for the link. About $200. Think I'll buy the funnel that fits under the filter and try that first, before justifying the relocation kit. Very cool mod though. Have to bookmark this one.

You will have fun with the funnel.:D Keep the bookmark handy.:hii

Guys, have been doing this for many years and have tried every method know to man to avoid an oil mess changing the oil filter on a Twin Cam; there isn't one. Sure, you can hit it with a carb cleaner, degreaser, etc. but, over time, it is just a place for crud to collect and whatever you use to cleanup will find its way to the front motor mount on a touring model. The factory location for he TC oil filter has to be the worst possible place to locate an oil filter. It's almost as if the engineer got together and voted on the worst place to locate an oil filter. :shock A remote located filter is the only solution that eliminates cutting up large coke bottles, punching holes in filters to let them drain, making funnels out of the filter box, etc. If one has an oil cooler, the clean up is even more of a hassle and time consumed. All you need do is unscrew the remote filter and screw on a new one; takes all of five minutes with no mess, no cleanup and not bath. May not be worth $200 to some but if you change oil more than once a season, sure makes the oil change simple. Each to his own but I am tired of the messy drill and will be spending another $200 to install the system on the '02 FLHT. Besides, when the remote oil filter is observed by other riders, it always starts a conversation; great way to make new acquaintances.:hii

What does a kit like this cost? I assume they make them for touring as well? I'm doing my first oil change on a Harley in the spring. What's the deal with the oil filter being a pain? Ok, that's enough questions from me...

Be sure to pay attention to where the sensor is right next to the filter is, don't want to cause yourself any grief....

Actually brake cleaner works better than degreaser or carb cleaner, evaporates dry and leaves no residue.

I'm wondering how far out it sets? Seems like if something would hit it you're SOL. I've never carried a spare oil filter with me.

I'm wondering how far out it sets? Seems like if something would hit it you're SOL. I've never carried a spare oil filter with me.

The filter is very close to the frame. If that happens, you will likely be on the ground and the filter location will be the least of your problems. Guys have been running these, without incident, for years. I like the convenience and the time saving; each to his own but I will be installing this system on my old FL soon.:D

Two more positive features. More air flow around the filter and since the filter mounts to the frame instead of the motor, no heat sink effect from the hot motor to the filter. Did I mention and additional 1/2 quart of oil in the system? There are so many positive benefits to this system, I don't understand all the nay saying. But, like I said, each to his own.:s

I don't understand all the nay saying. But, like I said, each to his own.:s

I wouldn't take it as nay saying. I think its an awesome idea. I'm just a tight-wad. I've been looking around, and found some other alternative products, as low as around $80 for the whole kit (Deville Cycles). May not be as pretty as yours though :s. Considering cleanup supplies, the $20 plastic funnel, plus the chance of breaking a sensor, you'd almost be crazy not to consider a remote filter. I'm just doing my research... Your post is MUCH appreciated!

Back