free website stats program Motorcycle (un)Friendly Cities | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Motorcycle (un)Friendly Cities

You have to learn to stay off the freeways, but there are so many backroads that you can take advantage of (but I guess you have to know them and plan your trip accordingly). Bonus: you are on the verge of so many good rides on each edge of town...North: Sam Houston National Forest, South: Galveston and the Gulf Coast, East: Sabine River, Louisiana, West: San Antonio, Texas Hill Country.

+1 on that, just remember to stay out of the city as much as possible!

This may sound strange but Lake George, New York home of (for now) Americade. Perhaps not unfriendly but not friendly like Laconia, or any other city in New Hampshire, or Vermont for that matter.

Some of my reasons. LG will sell you a parking pass for $9 so you can park downtown, Laconia shuts off the meters and only allows bike on Weirs Blvd (the main event area) parking during Bike week.

LG was asked several times to close Canada St for a Friday night block party (which they have done for other events) no dice. Laconia closes 2 miles of St Rt 3 for 3 days to "4 wheel traffic" so bikes can get in and out easier.

Not to mention the State road blocks for bikes only a couple of years ago manned by officers that had no clue of other states inspection laws. If you didn't have a sticker on the left front fork they didn't know how to deal. Maine has one stapled to the reg paper, I think Delaware has theirs on the plate and Florida to my knowledge has none.

If anyone is looking for a place for a bike vacation New Hampshire or Vermont would be my first and second choice. Or Maine, I have been over the best roads so much that I get a little bored sometimes. But I would never go to Lake George for a bike (or any) vacation, or New York State either.

End of rant, now time to ride. :naughty

How to Visit Atlanta, GA .. Fill up with Gas 50 Miles north or south of the City off I-75 .. Follow I-75 in the Left hand lane doing about 80 MPH to get from getting run over.. When see it, catch the HOV Lane on the Extreme Left Going as Fast as needed to keep from being rear ended, sometimes takes 85MPH.. When the HOV Lane ends Stay in the Left Hand Lane keeping ahead of the flow of traffic .. When Traffic dies down to a mild roar think how nice it was to see Atlanta again ... :)

You are spot on I don't think I've ever gone through there under 80

the most motorcycle unfriendly city close to me is CHARLESTON, SC Lotts of one way streets yada yada but my biggest comeplaint is EVERY parking lott does not allow motorcycles i'm talking public parking private the works they make sure that no bikers are alowed to park inside the city limits so when planning your next vacation remember this:(

Multiply Holy Diver's comment to Los Angeles, CA, by about 10...and not just Motorcycles. May be the "Mecca" of modified motorcycle and automotive industry, but for riding...you have to WANT to be in the city... You have never seen so many open sidewalk parking marked red or timed to 12 minutes and $7 minimum parking lots everywhere. Even for a doctor appointment at any major hospital or dropoff at the airport you have NO stopping signs and one way signs everywhere.:bigsmiley30:

Jax. Florida has gated communities where bikes are not allowed period. Why would anyone want to live where you cant ride your bike to your house?

Back