free website stats program motorcycle stand | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

motorcycle stand

I just bought the J&S jack. I know a little pricey but I am very satisfied with it. You truly do not need to strap it down. Very stable, I think the pads or arms that lift the bike are 17" apart.

I have been using a portable hydraulic bike lift for about six years now. They are all good. Some have more pluses than others that goes along with the cost. The only thing I would tell you is be careful how you lift and lower your bike. I usually put my lift under my bike from the right side. I have the jiffy stand(love that title) pulled tight into the extended position with bungee cords. It is hard to control the lowering of a hydraulic jack an some times it lowers very fast. By being on the right side if things seem to be getting away from me I shove the bike away from me onto the side stand(jiffy stand). Being a disabled vet eat up with Agent Orange I am not in the best of shape so I have to keep coming up with these labor saving safety deals. Fossil

I have been using a portable hydraulic bike lift for about six years now. They are all good. Some have more pluses than others that goes along with the cost. The only thing I would tell you is be careful how you lift and lower your bike. I usually put my lift under my bike from the right side. I have the jiffy stand(love that title) pulled tight into the extended position with bungee cords. It is hard to control the lowering of a hydraulic jack an some times it lowers very fast. By being on the right side if things seem to be getting away from me I shove the bike away from me onto the side stand(jiffy stand). Being a disabled vet eat up with Agent Orange I am not in the best of shape so I have to keep coming up with these labor saving safety deals. Fossil

Fossil; first let me say the jiffy stand and bungee cord is really a good idea, and second and foremost, thank you for the sacrifices you made for our freedom. I hope it hasn't been to bad on you.

1+ regarding Fossil's bungee cord idea for the jiffy stand. While I agree with many about the nice design of the stand it is NOT "foldup" proof if it bounces out of the latch "deployed" mode (if it is unweighted). You can never be too careful after hearing stories of unsecured bikes falling of the stand.

Yep, thanks for the sacrifice Fossil....

Talkin about being nervous, everytime I jack my bike up I've got a puckered rear until I hear the safety latches 'click' Then I really look it over to make sure everything looks and feels stable. The pucker only goes away when I start getting into my work.......

I did not realize...how tricky it can be. I've never user the lift before so it will be very interesting...

btw, why is it that the bike should be off the ground during the winter? My garage is not heated so it is not good enough to put a piece of carpet or something under the bike?

Not necessarily off the ground,but with the weight off the tires and suspension is the best for the components and no flat spotting the bias ply tires

Back