free website stats program More on the New Milwaukee 8 | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

More on the New Milwaukee 8

Engineering and CAD software is all great stuff. The problem comes when those engineering drawings are sent to all the outsourced suppliers for manufacture. Many problems with the HD drive train have been related to the factory established tolerances and the variance from one supplier to the next in their ability to maintain a manufacturing process that produces parts consistently within the allowed tolerances. An TC example is the allowable tolerances between piston and bore diameter. One buys a Big Bore kit and the piston has been manufactured to the low side of the allowed diameter while the cylinder bore comes out to the high side of the allowed bore diameter; poor fitment from the jump.

Just saying that while HD has certainly made improvements with the M8 motor over the Twin Cam through the design and engineering process doesn't mean that there will be any fewer problems over the life of the M8 than there were with the Twin Cam. There are already oil pump issues starting to show up; one dealer I am aware of has 6-7 M8's that he cannot sell because of the smoke generated on start up (see attached video); rocker arm issues are starting to show up; this first year is the beta test year (remember, no adjustment on rocker arms so if tolerances are not spot on, they will make noise, same will happen if valves wear unevenly).........;) The HD engineers are picking these bikes up and appear to be very diligent in evaluating, identifying and correcting these issues but I will be waiting another year before considering buying up.:cool:

I look forward to taking a ride on a new M8 as the new motor does hold some promise. However, one has to wonder if, long term, the TC will be lamented as was the EVo_O_O

Not bashing guys, just reporting what I am learning by following reports from owners and dealers. I am sure that there are plenty of new M8 owners that are not having any issues at all.:)

Last edited:
Dolt, my engine is no more noisy than a TC, I do not have ANY smoke out the exhaust
I talked to a HD tech friend of mine, He said not to worry, some bikes have too much run out like the TC
My friend is very versed with HD, THE MOCO flew him to Home Base to help work out some bugs on the radios, while there he got to ride the indoor track

Jack,
I am not preaching gloom and doom. I am closely watching the roll out of the M8 as I really like what I see in the changes; the M8 is a real step change and leaves the Rushmore "upgrade" in the dust. Among the other more significant M8 changes, the MoCo finally addressed the head breathers dumping back into the intake, so they apparently have been paying attention and I was as impressed with that change as any.

I just refuse to roll the dice and be a beta tester, for anything, not just the M8 motor. Aside from watching the de-bugging of the M8 over the next couple of years, I am also interested in seeing where the M8 goes next year; will it be in the softail line? as well as what comes out of the aftermarket in the way of performance options. Another dilemma for me is that the M8 will be more challenging to work on and I get almost as much enjoyment out of working on my bikes as I do riding them. However, I can envision picking up a used 2017 next year, pulling the motor, replacing the crank with the 4.625" crank, the new beefy cylinders can very likely be bored to 4.125" to build a 120" motor and by that time the head porters will have figured out how to improve the heads and pistons and performance cams will be available. I could ride that bike into the grave.;)

Enjoy the new ride.:D

Jack,
I am not preaching gloom and doom. I am closely watching the roll out of the M8 as I really like what I see in the changes; the M8 is a real step change and leaves the Rushmore "upgrade" in the dust. Among the other more significant M8 changes, the MoCo finally addressed the head breathers dumping back into the intake, so they apparently have been paying attention and I was as impressed with that change as any.

I just refuse to roll the dice and be a beta tester, for anything, not just the M8 motor. Aside from watching the de-bugging of the M8 over the next couple of years, I am also interested in seeing where the M8 goes next year; will it be in the softail line? as well as what comes out of the aftermarket in the way of performance options. Another dilemma for me is that the M8 will be more challenging to work on and I get almost as much enjoyment out of working on my bikes as I do riding them. However, I can envision picking up a used 2017 next year, pulling the motor, replacing the crank with the 4.625" crank, the new beefy cylinders can very likely be bored to 4.125" to build a 120" motor and by that time the head porters will have figured out how to improve the heads and pistons and performance cams will be available. I could ride that bike into the grave.;)

Enjoy the new ride.:D
I hear ya, I will tell you this
This engine will not fit the Dyna chassis
The FLD is no more
The V Rod is gone after this year

My gut tells me there will remain the TC til THE MOCO builds a new Dyna chasis
I dont mind the noise or being a Beta tester with the warranty I have in fact I upped my warranty for 2 more years for $110.00 This engine will replace the TC now the Dynas come 103 or 110 in the CVO And you are spot on, the MOCO has cam and adjustable pushrods, air filter and exhaust already, with the SE tuner, bumping to 114 and soon beyond, this is a new case so who knows how big, it has multi layered steel gaskets Big Step up IMO

1080 miles and no smoke from exhaust.Top end is quieter with SYN3 installed.So far,one sweet machine! Pleased to be a Beta tester.

Me too, I am switching to Quicksilver 20-50 Synthetic Saturday morning, I put Bel ray Gear saver in the Transmission @ $12.00 a quart ;)

Run hard yesterday, am ready for first oil change
55MPG on the nose, less heat
I can shift to 6th gear @ 50 mph @ 70mph I am turning 2710RPM

Estimated from fuel economy tests on a sample motorcycle from the corresponding family conducted by Harley-Davidson under ideal laboratory conditions. Not all motorcycle models undergo fuel economy testing. Fuel economy and mileage may vary among motorcycle models within a family. Your mileage may vary depending on your personal riding habits, weather conditions, trip length, vehicle condition and vehicle configuration and other conditions. Break-in mileage may vary.
44/50 for TC 103
Compare that to a 96 Stage 2 @ 35-40, I would guess the 88 upped to stage 2 or 3 would be the same?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back