free website stats program Mobile 1 75w90 or 75w140? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Mobile 1 75w90 or 75w140?

Thanks for the info. I have found so much info on this site, that its mind numbing! I mean that in the best way possible :s I have a little more time now that the weather here has decided to not cooperate with my ride plans. Where do you guys order Spectro from? How often do you guys change your Spectro Trans lube? (I know what Harley recommends, just want to know when you change it.) Thanks for all the great advise!

Thanks for the info. I have found so much info on this site, that its mind numbing! I mean that in the best way possible :s I have a little more time now that the weather here has decided to not cooperate with my ride plans. Where do you guys order Spectro from? How often do you guys change your Spectro Trans lube? (I know what Harley recommends, just want to know when you change it.) Thanks for all the great advise!

Bob's Cycle Supply - Search You can get Spectro here, A lot of Harley dealers also carry it

Bob's Cycle Supply - Search You can get Spectro here, A lot of Harley dealers also carry it

Thanks, Jack! No HD dealers around here carry it. As a matter of fact I had two different service managers who discouraged the use of anything but Harley SYN 3. Stating the MOCO knows best what oils to use in thier bikes. One dealership would not allow me to bring them the oil I wanted them to use when they performed the service. They said they would only put in the bike what they sold...which is only H-D products.

Thanks, Jack! No HD dealers around here carry it. As a matter of fact I had two different service managers who discouraged the use of anything but Harley SYN 3. Stating the MOCO knows best what oils to use in thier bikes. One dealership would not allow me to bring them the oil I wanted them to use when they performed the service. They said they would only put in the bike what they sold...which is only H-D products.

Syn 3 may not be a bad oil, but even Harley has admitted they error ed on the use of it in their trannys, stating their formula plus is a better choice, That said I have always believed in gear oil for gears and Never been let down yet:s

The best thing about Mobil 1 products besides that they are very good is that you can get the Mobil 1 products just about anywhere so there is no need to special order. As I mentioned before I went to Valvoline 75w140 full synthetic gear lube and I have the same good results as the Mobil 1. I know that I don't have to carry any oil with me on long road trips because I can go into just about any auto parts or a Wal-mart and get Mobil 1 V-Twin oil.

I change all the fluids (engine, tranny, primary), sprark plugs, and oil filter at the same time. Try to shoot between 3,000 - 4,000 miles.

I get the Spectro from Bob's as listed above. Buy a few quarts of each, but my tranny only takes 20-24 oz (so I put in 22 oz). Typically I will order 3 qts of Tranny gear oil and 4 qts. primary fluid. My primary takes a quart. So that is enough for 4 changes of each.

TQ

I found that I had too much valve train noise with the Mobil-1
The Bell-Ray all but eliminated it.

I may just try the bel ray.. I didn't want to use something that wasn't readily available but ever since my bike was new it is a loud bugger..the ratta tat tat of the valve train has always been loud...I used bel ray in all my race bikes when I was young and doing the whole motocross thing and loved it..I will have to
consider this..:eam

imo, everyone makes too much of an issue out of tranny,primary & crank lubes, use a high quality gear lube in your tranny,synthetic gl5 is fine in 6speeds. i use spectro 75#-140. do not use syn3 or any other 20w50 motor oil in a tranny. in older 4speeds,i like a high quality 75w-140 dino gear lube jmo

I tried the Spectro for 6 speeds in my tranny and it was noisier than the M1 I was using....so, I went back to the M1 75-140 and next time I'm gonna go Valvoline since I'm so impressed with the VR1 I'm currently using.

Back