free website stats program Mobile 1 75w90 or 75w140? | Harley Davidson Forums

Mobile 1 75w90 or 75w140?

softail41

I have a 1000 mile service coming up this weekend on my 2012 FLSTC. I have read all the oil polls on here as well as a lot of other great info and have decided to go with:

Mobile 1 V-Twin 20-50 in Engine
Harley Formula +1 in the Primary

Before I go any further, I realize that Spectro and Redline are very popular in trannys on this site, however, it is not readily available in my area. So I have decided to go with Mobile 1 gear oil.

So, the question is - Do I go with 75w90 or the 140 wieght? I live in Southern Alabama and the temperatures here are quite high in the summer (by the way it is 73 outside as I write this!) and I would tend to believe that the 140 would be better but wanted to get the opinion of the great minds on this site.

I have used both the 75w90 and the 75w140 and both are good products and served me well. I use to change from the 75w90 to the 75w140 for summer riding but now I just stay with the 75w140 all year around. I get my tranny oil at AutoZone and I get the Mobil 1 75w90 for around $10 a qt and the 75w140 is about $18 a qt. I now use Valvoline 75w140 full synthetic gear lube in my tranny and I also get that at AutoZone and it is around $12 a qt, so you may want to go with the Valvoline because it is just as good as the Mobil 1 75w140 and it cost less.

I put Mobil1 75w90 in my '07 transmission at the initial change. I noticed less "clunk" when changing gears. Next, I changed to Spectro 6 speed Platinum (or somethin' like that). It works well also, but I can't say I noticed any difference at all from the Mobile1. I also like HD formula + in the primary.

Last edited:
Down there - the heavier grade GO (75W/140) would be best...order your Spectro Oil online...that's what I did.

IMO you don't need a gear lube in the HD tranny. I use my 20W-50 in all three holes. As an AMSOIL dealer I sell HD riders the Severe Gear products (SVO and SVT) that we have but I don't recommend them. If you look at the AMSOIL HD oil recommendations for HDs you will see them given as optional or secondary solutions. :D

Tank, thank you for the info. Wow! You have to be the first person on here that recommends engine oil in the tranny! I like the fact that it is cheaper for sure....However, maybe you can explain this: Under the Amsoil link you posted, at the bottom there is a cross reference sheet that says:

Harley Davidson Part # AMSOIL PRODUCT
99892-84 Transmission Lube SVT 75W-110 Gear Lube
SVO 75W-140 Gear Lube
MCS SAE 60 Engine Oil

Am I missing something, or is this recommending SVT, SVO, (gear lube), MCS (Engine oil) in this priority?

Not trying to start an argument here, just trying to understand.

Down there - the heavier grade GO (75W/140) would be best...order your Spectro Oil online...that's what I did.

This was my first choice, but I'm kinda in a bind....the weather is good, I need a service done, and I don't want to wait on shipping or pay for 2 day shipping. I WANT TO RIDE!!!!

I may switch over in the future. Tank does not recommend Gear Lube in the tranny and he is a dealer, so I am trying to figure out the right way to go.

Oops! Sorry about the caps in the previous post...I wasn't yelling, promise :s

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope that makes sense. I don't deny that some people experience a quieter tranny with the use of a gear lube but I don't think it is needed. One product for all three will work on the newer bikes. AMSOIL says so and so does Mobil 1. If this was causing failure the oil companies would not be recommending it.

Thank you for the reply. I think that cleared things up a bit! I also read on this forum that GL-5 was not good for "yellow metals" and I guess there is still some question wheather our trannys have any of this type metal in there?

Thank you again for your time and info.

I live in the Houston Texas area which may have a similar climate to yours in Alabama. I use the following in my engine, tranny and Primary:

Engine: FULL synthetic 20W50 VTwin engine oil
Tranny: FULL snythetic 75W140 GL-5 gear lube
Primary: Fit-for-purpose chaincase/wet clutch lubricant (like HD Formula + or Spectro Primary, Redline Primary, etc.)

I would not hesitate to recommend those types of products for our bikes.

In my case, that is Mobil 1 VTwin 20W50 engine oil, Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum 6-speed Transmission Oil, Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase Oil

TQ

I live in the Houston Texas area which may have a similar climate to yours in Alabama. I use the following in my engine, tranny and Primary:

Engine: FULL synthetic 20W50 VTwin engine oil
Tranny: FULL snythetic 75W140 GL-5 gear lube
Primary: Fit-for-purpose chaincase/wet clutch lubricant (like HD Formula + or Spectro Primary, Redline Primary, etc.)

I would not hesitate to recommend those types of products for our bikes.

In my case, that is Mobil 1 VTwin 20W50 engine oil, Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum 6-speed Transmission Oil, Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase Oil

TQ

I like Bel-Ray 15-50 for the motor.
Spectro 75-140 GL5 for the trans.
And I have tried many oils for the primary,but the cheapest 20-50 dino oil works fine for me with the least amount of drag.

Mobil One V Twin in the Crank
HD + in the primary (Dino oil is fine here)
Redline in the Tranny.

I have tried Mobil One, Spectro and Redline in the Tranny. All I am sure provide more than enough protection, But I can say without hesitation that Redline is the only oil in the tranny that I noticed an IMMEDIATE improvement with smoother shifting as well as quietness. I am sold on it for the Tranny. I might go with it in the crank as well. :s

Back