free website stats program Missing carb part???? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Missing carb part????

I would remove the tank and thoroughly clean it out and refill with fresh gas, also clean the needle and seat again even if you have done it but do the tank first. Sounds like your float in the carb is being held open by some debris.

That's about all that can cause the problem you are having.

I done that Tuesday-and also installed an inline filter just for diagnostic purposes.Still doing it.Im totally perplexed at this point:) Anything and everything that seems logical isnt working.

If you did all that was mentioned above, then there could be a problem with the needle and seat or even the float itself causing an overflow situation.

I will dig a lil deeper-thanks again brother.

I noticed that the float tang compresses the valve spring AND THEN pushes the float needle up into the seat..the mechanism seems to be somewhat "wobbly".. Is this standard operating procedure?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am pretty sure that the needle should seat before the spring compresses might be worth getting some carb cleaner on a cotton bud and cleaning out the whole area including the needle edjes and hopefully the needle should slip in to its seat esier
as to the stumble may be worth upping the size of the slow or main jet just to get a wee bit more fuel at that point
all the jets give fuel all the time the main jet is controlled by the slide needle having a taper on it
as the slide goes up allowing more air in the needle opens out by the needle going up
and perhaps at the point that the main jet starts to give more fuel may be a little behind
increasing the slow jet may give more fuel up to and in cluding this point
increasing the main jet may make too much fuel at higher revs
raising the slide needle just a wee bit may help
however if the float bowl is too full you may be getting a wee bit too much fuel at some points
so get the float bowl right first then fiddle with the various other things

Brian

all other throttle positions perform magnificently......i

So WOT performs perfect. From 2500 RPM to 5000 RPM while under WOT you feel No problems. You don't feel any surge and the engine pulls hard without running out of fuel while under WOT from 2.5K to 5K RPM.

I will dig a lil deeper-thanks again brother.

I noticed that the float tang compresses the valve spring
AND THEN pushes the float needle up into the seat..the mechanism seems to be somewhat "wobbly".. Is this standard operating procedure?

If you are describing the hook on the needle that connects it to the float, it should be hooked around the float and not on top of it to get "compressed".

on the float needle there should be a spring loaded pin\plunger and when the float pushes up on the needle it pushes on that spring loaded pin/plunger
some carbs the wire clip that goes on the float tang is threaded through a hole in the spring loaded pin/plunger and on some the wire clip is attatced to the needle by fitting round the base of the spring loaded pin/plunger
i took it from his post that the sring loaded plunger was athe way in before the needle had seated but the needle should seat before the spring loaded plunger is compressed which would indicate that there is some sort of obstruction in the channel that the needle moves in

Brian

Is it squirting fuel right off idle, or throttle position changes? The accelerator pump may need adj., or the tiny passage in the bowl may be restricted. Or, the air hole in your slide may be drilled too large (1/8" Max, stock is better), and slide is reacting too quickly off idle.

Forgive my "lingo"-when i manually actuate the float mechanism up and down the "pin" on the needle compresses FIRST and then the needle seats.as im actuating the float up and down the float is stable but the needle is "wobbly" seating and unseating.It just seems as though it should be a more precise function than what im observing.

Its squirting fuel right off idle..stock (new) slide..

Please use the EDIT feature to add to the reply if it is still available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back