free website stats program Messed Up... Now how bad was it? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Messed Up... Now how bad was it?

Okay, here goes again...
2,500 miles ago I thought I changed my oil (Pretty sure I did). Yesterday, I changed all three and added the correct fluids to the correct holes. While doing yesterdays service, I could not recall which plug I pulled for the oil 2,500 miles ago. I say I am pretty sure, because I am not 100% sure, but dang near it. I am more concerned why I forgot this in less than 3 months.:D

Now back to my question, what kind of damage would have been done if I had dropped the tranny oil, thinking it was the engine oil. From what I gathered, it would have be very quickly realized, and since it wasn't, I must not have done what I feared.

Sorry for the confusion, but I was freaking out a bit last night when I typed the first description.

after reading the re=explaination I'm still confused.....2500 miles ago you changed "a " fluid....then you put fluid back in...but not sure which hole?...then you just changed the fluids on all 3 holes and refilled.....if you put too much fluid in one hole 2500 miles ago...you'd know it as others have posted.....if your tranny didn't have any fluid you'd know it too!.....but are you asking what kind of damage you may have occured if you put tranny fluid in with engine oil?

Some thing is wrong with this post, but what?

He pull the tranny plug thinking it was the crankcase plug. He Re-installed the tranny drain plug and then added 3 quarts of ENGINE oil to the crankcase. The net result is the tranny is empty and there is now 6 quarts of oil (3 qts old oil & 3 qts fresh oil) in the crankcase.

But there is a Happy ending to the story because originally you said you THOUGHT you changed your oil with the above sequence,, but since you can not physically fit 2 gallons of oil in your crankcase, and also drive 2500 miles with an empty tranny, what you "thought" you did,, actually did not happen.

It all means your due for an oil change because it's been 7500 miles since the last time you thought you did it.

One problem I see is not checking your tranny/engine oil level for 2500 miles...need to pull dipstick at least every other week while riding. Other than that - I'm still not 100% sure on OP's issue. Did you run the tranny dry for 1500???

The original poster drained all three holes. He got fluid out of all three holes. He thinks he should have gotten more out of the tranny hole. I think he is suffering from Harley paranoia. I see that I am not the only one confused here.

Okay, here goes again...
2,500 miles ago I thought I changed my oil (Pretty sure I did). Yesterday, I changed all three and added the correct fluids to the correct holes. While doing yesterdays service, I could not recall which plug I pulled for the oil 2,500 miles ago. I say I am pretty sure, because I am not 100% sure, but dang near it. I am more concerned why I forgot this in less than 3 months.:D

Now back to my question, what kind of damage would have been done if I had dropped the tranny oil, thinking it was the engine oil. From what I gathered, it would have be very quickly realized, and since it wasn't, I must not have done what I feared.

Sorry for the confusion, but I was freaking out a bit last night when I typed the first description.

What I want to know is what were you smokin???

Mobear,

I am sure you are fine.

If you have drained the transmission by accident, but did not replace the fluid, you would have known it real fast the first time you rode I would assume.

If you added to much oil to the engine, it would have come out the from a variety of locations ie the air cleaner, dip stick etc, so I am sure you would have found this out pretty quik also.

As for your memory, well I am no longer sure what I was going to say, so you are on your own there. :newsmile100:

Back