free website stats program Making an EFI 88" Twincam sound like a carbed engine?? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Making an EFI 88" Twincam sound like a carbed engine??

Hey all, this is my first post. I just had to join HDTimeline when I read this thread. I laughed when I read this post because I just bought a 1995 FXDL last month, and that was the one thing I thought was wrong with my bike. My FXDL would idle at about 800rpm just to where it sounded like it was going to stall. I thought "what did I get myself into?" I owned a Suzuki VStrom prior to buying the Harley, so I'm used to a smooth running motor. Anyway, I thought it was enough of a problem that I had the idle bumped up to 1K when I took the bike in for it's first service (well, first service since I've owned it).

Now I find out that is the sound people want in a Harley. I'm starting to like my Dyna more and more each day! :D

It lowers a bit once the engine is warm but I love the sound of a carbureted engine that is just above stalling. I'm sure you all know what I mean by that.. Just makes me go :bigsmiley24:

Now I was wondering if something can be done to get a similar effect on a bike with EFI?

Thanks for the advice,
Kris

Hey Jcbii,

I haven't been a member myself for so long but let me wish you a warm welcome to the forum anyway! Lots of great information and people around here to help you with (almost) whatever problem you might be having or at least giving you their thoughts and ideas.

Funny indeed how one man's burden can be another man's joy :)

Take care,

Hey Jcbii,

I haven't been a member myself for so long but let me wish you a warm welcome to the forum anyway! Lots of great information and people around here to help you with (almost) whatever problem you might be having or at least giving you their thoughts and ideas.

Funny indeed how one man's burden can be another man's joy :)

Take care,

Thanks for the welcome! I'm still getting used to my "new to me" Harley. I have really enjoyed this bike so far, and plan to make some changes (Handlebars, brake lines, windshield, saddlebags, etc.) so I'm sure I will have lots of questions. After having the inspection/service done after I bought this bike, I realized that I am going to need to do a lot of the work myself so that I save $. I've placed an order for a J&S Jack since it appears to be one of the few jacks that work with Dyna models. It was expensive, but I hope to recoup the $ in savings by doing maintenance & upgrades myself.

Ok, I guess I should steer my post back to the original topic. My bike is carbureted so it makes the sound I believe you are looking for. Although I had the idle adjusted to 1k rpm, it's nice to know that lowering it is as simple as turning the idle screw a little. After I've had the bike for awhile, I'm thinking about going to an aftermarket set of pipes. The bike had screamin eagle pipes on it, but they were scratched up (previous owner dropped the bike once), and a bit too loud. I bought some stock pipes off ebay and currently have them on my Dyna.

Hope you are able to get the sound you are looking for out of your bike!

Back