free website stats program Making an EFI 88" Twincam sound like a carbed engine?? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Making an EFI 88" Twincam sound like a carbed engine??

i set the rpm on my dad's 00 rk just above stalling rpm...

far on my carb tc 04 fxdx, idle 600rpm no leakage.

if idling rpm is too low, what's the worst thing could happen?

Oil Pressure is a function of several variables, one of which is the bearing clearances. No one answer will fit every ones application. If I was doing what your doing with lowing RPM, I would temporarily install a mechanical oil pressure gauge and check what your oil pressure actually is when the engine was hot and the oil was due for a change. You may be in single digit numbers.

First HD do not have a choke they have an enricher Different things that work in a different way. I would love to met the the mech that told you that so I can make sure he never gets with 100 Yards of any of my bikes . He has not got a clue what hes talking about.
mess with the idle and running it slow than called for will.
1. Not allow oil to pump proper amount to lube the engine.
2.Cause damage to changing system
3. On and engine with fuel added the fuel that by passes and ends up in the oil will be much greater than normal. This will also lead to long term engine damage.

Funny thing is on my three bikes the control knob for the enricher has the word choke embossed on it so at times it could be confused for a choke control

Brian

@hoople, thx!

@smitty
yep, i meant the enricher knob. like fin said, the knob says word "choke".
thx for the no1-3.
so would that low rpm be the cause of oil leak on my dad's rk?

true, when engine is all warmed up, pull the choke and the engine stalls.

now the dyna's rpm set to 800-900 again. is that good enough or does it really have to be 1k rpm (like the dealer said)?

a buddy of mine has a 03 wide glide that is not fuel injected and it sounds a lot different than my 03 ultra classic. his idles a lot more like the old bikes. I like the fact that my bike starts with a push of a buttion, but his bike shure sounds good.

I would have liked the same sound from my '06 fxdci but I don't think you can overcome the computer settings.

man my 883 sporty with open drag pipes with powercone in it , they sound like ground pounding power coming from it, the 05 roadking with v&h pipes sound good, but ain't nothing like the 883 sound. true harley lope
heres alink to the 883 clip, its inside a shed so not true sound but you'll get the lope
06-18-09_1714.flv video by bigboneturk - Photobucket
the pipes look gold but tere not, it's my sheds lighting

In 2000 when I was in Millennium Electronics class at the factorty in Milwaukee the instructor told us to never set the idle below 950 rpm on fuel injected bikes for customers because the EFI system is very temperamental as far as voltage, with all the sensors, lights. etc. a low idle speed does not provide sufficient voltage for the system to operate properly. If you have a carb bike, no problem. Nothing was said about low oil pressure. If you want a lope you can put a cam in, but it will never sound like a low idle carbureted bike. Also I think the reason they print choke on the enricher knob is because the two extra letters wouldn't fit and if they made the lettering smaller old people like me wouldn't be able to read it.:)

Hey Chopper,

I had no clue that the charging system was so delicate. I'd think they would ensure a bigger margin on lower RPM range capable of producing enough current to keep the battery afloat and the EFI system working propperly.

Too bad that regulations will force this sound out of excistance, if I understand correctly no carburettor means no almost stalling bikes off of idle.

Take care,

Back