free website stats program Lyndall or not | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Lyndall or not

the rotor developed grooves and squeaked, not sure about the pads, changed them because i thought the breaks should stop a little faster (a trike is 50% heavier than a full size bike). it actually started at about 7000 miles, but could not hear it when i wear a helmet (which is most of the time). took it to my local Harley and they told me break squeaks are hard to fix and they have had trouble with a few others, they sprayed some stuff on the rotors that helped a little and sent me on my way. this happens to be why I went outside of Harley to get them fixed

All disc brakes squeal however the squeal is normally at a pitch that the human ear can not hear often a shim is added to the rear of pads to alter the natural squeal to a higher pitch that we can not hear
Coating the back plate of brake pads with comer grease also alters the pitch of the squeal
If the rotors had developed grooves at such low mileage then I would suspect that the wrong material had been pressing against them often happens when the friction material wears or breaks up and the metal back plate presses against the rotor however occasionally some brake pad friction materials can cause uneven wear on some rotors
Having spent a lot of time and money over the years replacing brake rotors on cars and motorcycles I now always use manufacturer supplied pads and that seems to work for me on cars and motorcycles
If you feel that you do not have sufficient braking power upgrading rotors callipers and pads as a set would be the best way to go as changing to a higher performance brake pad can cause rapid brake rotor wear

Brian

the rotor developed grooves and squeaked, not sure about the pads, changed them because i thought the breaks should stop a little faster (a trike is 50% heavier than a full size bike). it actually started at about 7000 miles, but could not hear it when i wear a helmet (which is most of the time). took it to my local Harley and they told me break squeaks are hard to fix and they have had trouble with a few others, they sprayed some stuff on the rotors that helped a little and sent me on my way. this happens to be why I went outside of Harley to get them fixed
Most brake squeals that can be heard by the human ear are from a harmonic. That said the cause is inferior pad material, vibrations, lack of shims on pads to absorb the vibration, un trued rotors, grooves on rotors, missing and bent parts, lack of lube on moving parts etc the list goes on. After years of teaching brake classes in the auto industry I have seen first hand all of the above problems cause noise and premature wear also

I just put Lyndall pads on the rear stock rotor of my eglide. Stopping power is much better. The only squeal I get now is from the front HD brakes.

Back