free website stats program Lugging the engine | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Lugging the engine

I generally don't do much engine breaking myself so I slow down and pull the clutch in to downshift the gears as I slow. This way there's no trouble with the proper gear at the proper speed and I use the brakes to slow down.

Of course the determining fact is the circumstances/conditions at hand and if you are engine breaking or just breaking.

There is this hill that banks into a sharp curve where I live. When I am descending that hill I am usually in 5th gear doing like 35 mph and the rpm's are around 1800. I keep it in the higher gear because when I downshift to get the rpm's up there the bike will backfire. I try to avoid the backfiring by leaving it in the higher gear. Please understand that there is no strain on the engine, I am practically coasting. Just before I get into the turn, when the engine will need some higher rpm's, I will downshift. My question is: Am I doing any harm to the engine going downhill at the higher gear but lower rpm's without the engine lugging?
I hope I did not hijack your thread to much. There is some good info under "Decel Popping"

Lugging refers to an engine RPM that is too low for the road speed of the bike. It will give you the feeling the bike is "grunting" which transmits heavy vibrations as you try to accelerate.

As far as engine breaking, all I can say there is that too much of it isn't a good thing. It's much cheaper to replace brake pads than engines:s
Thanks Glider. That is what my understanding of "lugging" is, and it is not a good thing. I also believe that when I slow down for a stop, I downshift accordingly without "over downshifting" to the point where the engine is doing the primary stopping of the bike and not the brakes. To me, it all has to be smooth. My whole original post was am I really hurting the engine if it is not lugging as I coast down that hill for a very short distance and then downshift to the proper rmp's as I come out of the curve? I never let it get to the "grunting" point because like I said, I downshift to accelerate me through that curve. Thanks.

My whole original post was am I really hurting the engine if it is not lugging as I coast down that hill for a very short distance and then downshift to the proper rmp's as I come out of the curve?

It's not "hurting" the engine but consider that the pistons are still moving up and down at a pretty good rate when engine breaking and that in the long run translates to more wear.
Everyone does some coasting downhill at some point and it should be kept in a comfortable gear to not over stress/over rev the engine.

It's not "hurting" the engine but consider that the pistons are still moving up and down at a pretty good rate when engine breaking and that in the long run translates to more wear.
Everyone does some coasting downhill at some point and it should be kept in a comfortable gear to not over stress/over rev the engine.
Thanks. I think I'll just shift using the proper gear as I descend that hill from now on and live with the occasional decell popping". Really appreciate your input and hold it in high regard.

a bit of both is alright if not took to extreams.weather car, van lorry or bike.lorrys have an exhaust break to help stop when going down hills so as not to over heat the breaks.

Back