free website stats program Lowering my 2011 Street Glide | Harley Davidson Forums

Lowering my 2011 Street Glide

Vegas Sam

I am ready to lower my SG. I had asked for advise several months ago and got many responses most of which were against my doing so. I do appreciate everyone's response.

I need to lower my SG because it's been difficult to push it out of some parking situations. I have a reach seat which has been modified, that didn't help. I have had about an inch added to my boots with thick soles as was recommended here. Still not comfortable. I have a 28" inseam and I'm 67 years young.

I want to be able to ride my SG without having to tip toe at stops and be able to push my SG out of most parking situations.

My question is should I go with my HD dealer using HD parts or should I consider aftermarket products? I want to lower the bike 2". My riding style is touring without a lot of twisting roads, it's Texas after all, mostly long stretches. I don't ride hard as some of you may, been there done that. I just want to enjoy my SG and my rides.

I appreciate everyone's opinions, thanks

You have already lost a 1" of suspension travel just having a Street Glide. Lowering any more you might as well just ride a hard tail. Lowering springs and shocks are definitely the best way to go if under taking lowering bike. DO NOT use lowering links. Just a idea, why not get in the habit of backing bike into spot and get a pair of boots with thicker soles like logging boots to help. For lowering bike 2 more inches may very well take the enjoyment out of riding your scoot.

You have already lost a 1" of suspension travel just having a Street Glide. Lowering any more you might as well just ride a hard tail. Lowering springs and shocks are definitely the best way to go if under taking lowering bike. DO NOT use lowering links. Just a idea, why not get in the habit of backing bike into spot and get a pair of boots with thicker soles like logging boots to help. For lowering bike 2 more inches may very well take the enjoyment out of riding your scoot.

I understand your concerns about lowering the Street Glide, but the OP made it pretty clear that he had tried a lot of the suggestions he had received, including adding 1" to his boots and lowering his seat, and was still going to lower it further. It also sound like he was going to lower the bike out of need. Some folks buy the bike that pulls at their emotions and then need to modify it to fit their needs. Unless he modifies the frame most of the things he can do to lower the bike, including the Burley Kit, can be undone. :D

I agree with Don. I DO think though, that using links temporarily just to test the ride height is a good Idea before installing a full kit....

I understand your concerns about lowering the Street Glide, but the OP made it pretty clear that he had tried a lot of the suggestions he had received, including adding 1" to his boots and lowering his seat, and was still going to lower it further. It also sound like he was going to lower the bike out of need. Some folks buy the bike that pulls at their emotions and then need to modify it to fit their needs. Unless he modifies the frame most of the things he can do to lower the bike, including the Burley Kit, can be undone. :D

The point I was conveying was that the need to lower the bike 2 more inches may cause a condition that will render the bike useless. I understand the out of necessity part, but part of riding a motorcycle is for it to be some what agile and maneuverable. The OP also stated that he wanted to ride his bike not show it. As to trying the lowering links in the rear to just lower the rear another 2 inches and not lower the front it starting to seem that the parking concern the OP has is going to become the lesser of his problems, for a safety factor both in ride quality and handling ability is going to render the bike virtually useless and possibly unsafe. So again why not add another inch to the sole of his boots to gain the height needed to park bike would be better advice for it will not change the characteristics of the motorcycle..

The point I was conveying was that the need to lower the bike 2 more inches may cause a condition that will render the bike useless. I understand the out of necessity part, but part of riding a motorcycle is for it to be some what agile and maneuverable. The OP also stated that he wanted to ride his bike not show it. As to trying the lowering links in the rear to just lower the rear another 2 inches and not lower the front it starting to seem that the parking concern the OP has is going to become the lesser of his problems, for a safety factor both in ride quality and handling ability is going to render the bike virtually useless and possibly unsafe. So again why not add another inch to the sole of his boots to gain the height needed to park bike would be better advice for it will not change the characteristics of the motorcycle..

As I have no point of reference for the Street Glide and since as you say it is already a lowered bike from the factory it may as you say become "unsafe". I will have to agree with your reasoning. The extra 1" on the boots would seem to be the least expensive and probably the safest way to go. On my '94 FLSTC which is not lowered but does drag parts when moderately moving through the twisties, it can become a real distraction and hence unsafe. Your assumption is sound and the OP should take your observations very seriously. Thanks, HDDon

There is a point when fitting the bike to the owner becomes unwise. It may be smarter to find a bike that fits the owner. Or be more choosey where it gets parked.

The reduced reach seat, PN54383-11 lowers the rider 1" closer to the ground. The "super" reach seat, PN54382-11 lowers the rider 2" closer to the ground.

The OP mentioned that his reduced reach seat has been "modified" so, at this point, I don't know how much the riding position has been lowered. Lowering links with the OEM shocks is a smart move to see if the extra inch makes a difference before popping for new shocks.

In 2010, the MoCo made a running change to the touring seats and introduced a "low" seat, PN52164-10 but I don't know how low the low seat is.

IMHO, best bet is for the OP to figure out how much lower than the stock seat he needs to be and send his stock seat to Mean City Cycles with specific instructions for lowering and moving forward, or not. However, the OP must realize that at this point, he is marginalizing rider comfort. Suggest the OP call Mean City, relate his problem and listen to their recommendations.

Having said that, I have to agree with previous posters that the OP may be on the wrong bike.

Back