free website stats program low gas milage | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

low gas milage

If it won't idle and dies on you at a light, I would have to disagree with your HD shop about nothing being wrong. I Should idle without dieing at a light, and the plugs should not be black. Sounds like you need to find a new doctor for your bike. If everything was spec your bike would run fine.

It did not start this until the intake gaskets went bad. they were replaced along with a new throttle body. there is no air leaks. check that again tonight.

I wonder if I have a little carbon buildup in the heads from running rich from the air leak on the gaskets. I have new plugs in her and added cleaner in it. I will have to wait till the rain if over sunday.

steve

I believe an intake leak would cause your bike to run lean not rich.

I had the same problem with my 04 road king classic, the problem was the connection on the intake air temp sensor, the code was po-112

what tuner do you have, I assume the RT since they had it on the dyno?, or PCIII. One other thing comes to mind after rereading, and maybe someone else might have some thoughts, but I would do a compression test. You had an intake leak. that means you were running lean. how lean and how long I don't know, but running lean isn't good on the valves. maybe it's possible you have a bunt valve?

No Bp high grade only. no cheap stuff.

I did buy some new plugs from hd, screaming eagle plugs. same that was on it. had 30K. Rain some Seafoam in it with the last tank. haven't had a chance to drive it since. will this week.

steve

---------- stolivar edit/added post 9 minutes and 25 seconds later ----------

wouldn't the plugs showing black sooty on them be from being rich and not lean.

steve

Last edited:
Back