free website stats program Low fuel light | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Low fuel light

Just wondering if anyone else has an issue with the "low fuel" light coming on when there is more than 2 gallons left in the tank? I have a 2009 Sportster Low. If I fill when the light comes on, I put in about 2.5 gallons in a 4.5 gallon tank.

My low fuel light has never come on, i ran it down once and it never came on when i stopped and got gas i only had a half gallon in the tank.

The low fuel light works off a resistance value when the fuel sending unit reaches a certain point in resistance. if the light doesn't work at 1/2 gallon it may have a bad LED as an indicator. It may be worthwhile to drain the tank to verify it's integrity if it lights or not.

It really takes just one time to get used to where the light comes on and Where it goes from the light to LOW showing on the gauge...

Fill it when the light comes on. Then next time run it Beyond the Low Light until the Low Fuel words come on.. Now you have about 20/30 miles left.

Most riders don't know they have a second WARNING there... Not just the low fuel light at a gal. or so...

I like My system and it works great for me...:tounge

signed....BUBBIE

My low fuel light has never come on, i ran it down once and it never came on when i stopped and got gas i only had a half gallon in the tank.
The gasoline in the tank is coolant for the fuel pump.
Not good to run it low as it's possible to burn up the fuel pump early.

I have a 1200 Low. So you are saying that a second warning will come on. That doesn't seem to be covered in e manual

I wonder if the low fuel light is triggered by fuel usage hence the inaccuracy of the warning. Case in point there has been a occasion that while riding low fuel light comes on and shows miles till empty. Say it shows 25 miles then go up a hill, or take off quickly from a stop on same road then it will show 18 miles and you barely have gone a quarter mile..... I agree that using the odometer is best....

just as a auto in-tank fuel pump gets hot in the summer normally, resulting in shorter pump life. i would think a bink would be no different. also if you fill up at 1/4 tank you have time to avoid single hose pump stations, and look for
93 octane fuel ('098t/g) in my case.

It really takes just one time to get used to where the light comes on and Where it goes from the light to LOW showing on the gauge...

Fill it when the light comes on. Then next time run it Beyond the Low Light until the Low Fuel words come on.. Now you have about 20/30 miles left.

Most riders don't know they have a second WARNING there... Not just the low fuel light at a gal. or so...

I like My system and it works great for me...:tounge

signed....BUBBIE

I found out by accident that there is a second warning on my 2010 FXDC.......got caught on the back roads when the yellow light came on.....rode and rode looking for a station and was dead convinced I was gonna be on the side of the road waiting for help.....I had set my odometer on r (range to empty) and when it hit the 20 mile mark it lit up "FUEL" and would not change to any other setting......fortunately I found a station.....and put 4.7 gallons in my 5 gallon tank! Yeah.....I just made it!

I wonder if the low fuel light is triggered by fuel usage hence the inaccuracy of the warning. Case in point there has been a occasion that while riding low fuel light comes on and shows miles till empty. Say it shows 25 miles then go up a hill, or take off quickly from a stop on same road then it will show 18 miles and you barely have gone a quarter mile..... I agree that using the odometer is best....

The Brain is telling you and adjusting the miles per gallon by the way you drive...

I went up then down a long grade off Chinook Pass in Washington.Here is how it went:

Going up when the low fuel light came on saying 40 miles untill empty. On the other side of the pass, while i compressioned off the STEEP down hill side in 6th gear for several miles, the mileage increased showing 68 miles and stayed in that area Until i started using the throttle again 10 miles later..Then worked it's way back to 40 and down from there.

Liked that feeling of I'll Make It. :panic

signed....BUBBIE

My 06 King came on with around 2 gallons left. Cut the wire to the light and went off the odometer. Will have to see what happens on the new Ultra if we ever thaw out up here! Got a feeling the wire is gonna get the old snip since the light is gonna be even more "in your face" than it was on the RK. I have very little patience for foolish engineering. :newsmile042:

Back