free website stats program Loud clank when starting | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Loud clank when starting

The 96 engines all start with a nasty bang due to the crummy design of the compensator.. If this is what you were hearing, there's not much can be done about it other than upgrading to the newer compensator assy.

Compensator Kit - Harley Davidson Community

Thanks Glider for the link on the compensator issue. I guess that's one more thing to add to my ever increasing list of things to do as I modify my build. By the way I was hoping to hear from you on my 103 post regarding head work. :D
I appreciate your input.

Glider, do these compensators ever just "go out completely? First time I heard the thing banging away I thought it was a little strange but as I noted, It went away and has only done it a couple of times. I thought it was just hot and had a little too much fuel.

That's why this is such a great site. A ton of good info. Thank you!

Very rarely do the ever go completely out as in coming apart. It's just a poor design with a setup like wave washers that just aren't up to the job unlike the older spring loaded compensator prior to the 96 engines.

Back