free website stats program Loud clank when starting | Harley Davidson Forums

Loud clank when starting

robertc

Went for a short 90 mile today, beautiful weather...
The bike was running great but when I stopped for fuel I became a bit concerned. When I went to start my bike (neutral) it responded with a fairly loud series of clinking and clanking from what sounded like the tranny area, maybe even up front in engine, not sure. As it made an unusual and frightning sound I let off the start immediately. Bike sounded like it tried to turnover but failed. I may have not gave it enough time to turn over, all I know is that I immediately let off the start switch. Went to try it again, this time a bit more prepared should something out of the ordinary occur. The bike started but it still sounded a bit off as if something was slamming together at initial start. Got home and she starts fine. Any ideas?

Could be the starter pinion gear jamming into the ring gear.
Could it be just a fluke? Is this one of those ocassional things of: "they all do that syndrome" Was it something I might have caused, unknowingly? Most of all, should I worry about it?

Probably just a "once -in-a-while" thing. Something similar happened to me a couple of times while downshifting (with the clutch lever pulled) I didn't push the shifter down crisply enough and the trans made a horrible grinding sound before dropping the gear. Just be aware and listen in case it starts to become more frequent.

Just a thought here, if this happens again, put it in gear than back in neutral, restart to see if sound changes, maybe it didn't get cleanly into neutral when the noise happen'd.

Just a thought here, if this happens again, put it in gear than back in neutral, restart to see if sound changes, maybe it didn't get cleanly into neutral when the noise happen'd.

That makes sense:bigsmiley28:
I'll be sure to remember that, should it happen again:57:

thanks guys...

I had the same thing happen. Bike seemed to run a little rough after that. Got her home. Next time I started it she ran fine. Go figure. Its a pretty big engine for only two pistons. I suppose it could get a little out of sync. It was pretty hot and the bike was warm too. I wonder if that had anything to do with it? Now that it is working just fine, I'll chalk it up to some type of gremlin.

I did activate the EITMS the other day anticipating the warmer weather. Hasn't kicked in yet. I have about 3500 miles on her now and she seems to be running a little cooler according to the oil thermometer I installed. Could be my imagination too...

Back