free website stats program Loose Grip | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Loose Grip

Not MY idea, but given freely from a Biker Friend (has a shop n works on bikes)... He sprays Hair Spray and sticks grip back on Dries and it doesn't come loose again... SO He says...

Let us know how you do it and what you use...

signed....BUBBIE

Not MY idea, but given freely from a Biker Friend (has a shop n works on bikes)... He sprays Hair Spray and sticks grip back on Dries and it doesn't come loose again... SO He says...

Let us know how you do it and what you use...

signed....BUBBIE
I've seen several people say that hair spray works....I'd have to borrow some from my ole lady...I haven't used hair spray in about 30 years...I'll post results of my fix, thanks to all!

The grip tape I use is that for golf club grips. It is double sided tape with adhesive on both sides and with a peel off cover on one of the adhesive sides like shown in the link below. You can get this stuff at any golf club supply place like Golfsmith. Just wrap it around the bars and then peel off the cover. Pour a bit of solvent over the tape and inside the grip, then push the grip in the bars rotating slightly to spread the adhesive some. They sell fancy solvents for use with the tape, but I have found that mineral spirits or even methanol works fine.

http://www.grips4less.com/products/double-sided-water-based-tape-18-yards

Cheers,

TQ

Update and result! I thought I'd try hair spray. Probably my technique but it didn't work at all....so I re-cleaned the area and wrapped 2 skins of black electrical tape around the bar, spilled a little alcohol inside the grip for lubrication and put it back on. Feel's tighter than dick's hatband, took just a few minutes and cost nothing! How often does that happen? We'll see how it holds up but it feels good now. Thanks for everyone's help!

I use grip tape (as in golf club grips) on the left side of my handlebars. This makes it easy to apply, and easy to reapply if necessary. The constant heat/cool cycle especially here in the South works the adhesive to the point where the grip can work loose. With the grip tape, it is just a matter of pulling off the grip, scrapping off the old tape, reapplying some new tape and slipping the grip back on. I use some mineral spirits to soften the adhesive on the grip tape, and swish some around inside the grip before slipping it on the handlebars. Then just let it sit for a while until secure.

Cheers,

TQ

TQ great idea. Do you do clubs as well:D

TQ great idea. Do you do clubs as well:D
Not since about '96. Had worked my handicap down to close to single digit. But alas, life caught up to me and the bag went up on a hook in the garage. Only comes down every once in a while. Not enough to stop me from really whacking the big ball and having the little ball just sit there, or go somewhere it shouldn't.

Cheers,

TQ

I have not had one come loose, I have used Goop products before
AmazingGOOP-Automotive-Adhesive-3-7floz-TubeCard.jpg

Glad to hear that you got the grips tight. I have used elec. tape before, and it gets gummy and slippery after a while. I hope yours does not. We use hairspray when I worked in the Yamaha shop in the '70's. I think the "ozone depleting" stuff in it helped secure the grips. The newer environmental friendly stuff doesn't have it, I haven't seen hair as high as back then. :eek:

Yeah, they dont make hair spray like they used too. We use it for accelerant once in a while. The old standby is still Aqua Net. It still goes off real good. Probably a different topic though......

Back