free website stats program Loose Grip | Harley Davidson Forums

Loose Grip

danthern

Hello...I got on my 15 RK and immediately noticed that the left grip is loose, twisting back and forth almost like the throttle grip. They are the Kuryakyn Iso Grips that I installed right after I bought the bike last June. Has always been nice and tight. It's inside the channel like it should be. Did the glue just break loose? Do I need to replace the grip or can I re-glue? Thanks in advance

You can probably pull it apart clean everything up with some alcohol real good and glue it back on. Should be fine.

+1 on what Bodeen said, I would also rough it up a little with coarse steel wool or sandpaper before trying to re-glue it.

I use grip tape (as in golf club grips) on the left side of my handlebars. This makes it easy to apply, and easy to reapply if necessary. The constant heat/cool cycle especially here in the South works the adhesive to the point where the grip can work loose. With the grip tape, it is just a matter of pulling off the grip, scrapping off the old tape, reapplying some new tape and slipping the grip back on. I use some mineral spirits to soften the adhesive on the grip tape, and swish some around inside the grip before slipping it on the handlebars. Then just let it sit for a while until secure.

Cheers,

TQ

I do like TQ does above, but use aluminized air conditioning duct tape, and isopropyl alcohol inside the grip.

I am another that uses grip tape and it has held for 7 or 8 years on the softail

Brian

Thanks for all the great advice gents! I was leaning toward a good cleaning and re-applying with Gorilla Glue or something but after thinking about the grip tape method I may give that a try. My last glue effort lasted less than a year. I'd think that the tape wouldn't break down nearly as fast as the glue might....

I feel a bit ignorant asking but do you wrap the tape sticky side up or down?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wrap the tape round the handlebar overlapping the tape with the sticky side to the handlebar and the grip seems to grab on to the soft side of the grip tape

Brian

Back