free website stats program Looking for Feedback on Windsheilds for Ultra Classic | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Looking for Feedback on Windsheilds for Ultra Classic

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here. I just got off the phone with Robin from Clarks Clearview windshields. I wrote a question on thier website, and 30 minutes later she called. The Clarks shields are 3 1/2" wider on each side. She said the most noticeable benefits are, better sound from front speakers, and less turbulence on the passenger. We didn't discuss warmer hands, but I think that would be a yes. They guarantee against cracking, and will custom cut any size (1/2" increments) at no extra cost. Custom sizes are priced to the next SHORTER stock size. She gave me all the info to make perfect meas. for myself. I'm very impressed with thier attitude. They also sell on ebay under harleyman???? (I can't remember the 4 digit number). The feedback is all good. This was my first contact with this company in any way.

Breeze3at:

Would you mind sharing the info she gave you on making the perfect measurement for yourself, so that I can use if I purchase from them. I think I have it narrowed down to Clearview or Clark's. Thanks

Haywire

Last edited:
Another +1 for the 9.5" Clearview w/ Recurve. I'm 5'9, I can see over the top, no wind buffeting and the stereo sounds great.

Breeze3at:
Would you mind sharing the info she gave you on making the perfect measurement for yourself, so that I can use if I purchase from them. I think I have it narrowed down to Clearview or Clark's. Thanks
Haywire

Sure; When you are sitting in your normal riding position (slouched/ against back rest/ straight up, etc.), the top of the windshield should be even with the bottom of your nose (moustache area). The measurement should be taken from the top edge of the fairing, where the windshield emerges. I just had my wife sit a ruler on the top edge of the fairing and sight a straight line to my moustache. 9 1/2'' is my measurement, and I feel good with that because I have a 8" on now that feels just a little too short. It's nice up to 55 or so, then rattles my visor. Robin also told me that the measurements of thier shields is "in the wind" height, not overall. The 8" I have on now, is only 7 1/2" above the fairing or "in the wind". They have a new style that was on ebay called "contour" which is wide at bottom then steps in about 1/2 way up. They don't have any listed right now, she said they had been out of town for a week. It will be on the website soon, as well as pictures of the Bronze tint I asked about.
Oh yea,,, she said the "ideal" measurement is for MOST riders. As you can tell by reading the posts in this thread, there are lots of different heights favored by same size riders. I'm closing in on mine.

Last edited:
The windshield is wider, and it does protect the hands and controls better. I have not had any problem with the windshield, and the protection for the rider and passenger is better then the stock 12" the bike came with. It also improves the sound from the radio. One other thing is the windshield does have some stone bruises but no scratches form cleaning,

I contacted Clearview to ask what their windshields were made out of and the reply I got was Impact Modified Acrylic. The Clark's website says theirs are "All of our shields are now made out of MAR (scratch) Resistant Lexan"

Could someone tell me if the Impact Modified Acrylic is comparable to the lexan as far as durability. It was my understanding that Acrlics are not that strong so I am wondering how this modified stuff stands up.

Anyone with a Clearview want to comment on the strength of their windshields?
Thanks

Haywire

Anyone with a Clearview want to comment on the strength of their windshields?
Thanks

Haywire

I've had the Clearview with recurve for over a year,hit plenty of good sized bugs and stones, and it's undamaged so far.

I am 6'4" and am currently using a Memphis Shades 15" windshield. I had one from Cee Baileys out in CA (one of the bent swoopy ones) I liked it but it brought the wind right on my wifes head so that did not last.

I am 6'4" and am currently using a Memphis Shades 15" windshield. I had one from Cee Baileys out in CA (one of the bent swoopy ones) I liked it but it brought the wind right on my wifes head so that did not last.

This is part of the frustration in trying to find the perfect windshield. It's amazing how often we finally find the right height and shape for us and then discover it's terrible for our passenger.

AARRGGHH!!!

Back