free website stats program Looking for a way to increase my stopping power | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Looking for a way to increase my stopping power

I may be wrong but doesn't a 2006 SB have the mid glide front end with 49mm tubes? There's likely nothing wrong with your brakes other than they just aren't very powerful. The change was documented a while back in Hot bike, installing Fat Bob sliders (you need both - fender mount is also different) a second disc and caliper from the FB and modify your fender mount holes to suit the sliders. You'll need a set of stock FB brake lines and an 11/16" master cylinder. If you get the parts online and save 20% its not too bad, for the MC on mine I used a take off touring MC which fits and works fine and looks better too. The second disc gives you the 2 finger braking that should have come from the factory like a Fat Bob does and NO - its not at all over braked and is very controllable. I had a mountain lion run out in front of me over the summer, hit the brakes in time and only clipped its tail.

FXDFC16a.jpg

I had a mountain lion run out in front of me over the summer, hit the brakes in time and only clipped its tail.

FXDFC16a.jpg

That TAIL Sure Shinned that wheel up...:D

Better than Pledge.....:naughty

Nice looking bike.

signed....BUBBIE

I may be wrong but doesn't a 2006 SB have the mid glide front end with 49mm tubes? There's likely nothing wrong with your brakes other than they just aren't very powerful. The change was documented a while back in Hot bike, installing Fat Bob sliders (you need both - fender mount is also different) a second disc and caliper from the FB and modify your fender mount holes to suit the sliders. You'll need a set of stock FB brake lines and an 11/16" master cylinder. If you get the parts online and save 20% its not too bad, for the MC on mine I used a take off touring MC which fits and works fine and looks better too. The second disc gives you the 2 finger braking that should have come from the factory like a Fat Bob does and NO - its not at all over braked and is very controllable. I had a mountain lion run out in front of me over the summer, hit the brakes in time and only clipped its tail.

FXDFC16a.jpg

Thanks p51bombay,
Excellent feedback and exactly what I was looking for! I've seen many arguments in this thread and value everyone's input as I'm sure all here come to contribute.

Personally I don't mind having a bike that can tear the wheels from under me, I own a sportsbike next to my HD and like this behavior, it just requires the right braking technique to control the added stopping power.

The forks on the StreetBob are indeed 49mm. On my swapmeet list now are 2 Fatbob lowers, a floating disk, a caliper and a new brake housing with larger bore size + some tubing which I'll use for the re-build. Good to know that it can (and has been) done without too much machining.

I've added a link to the hotbikeweb article p51bombay was referring to

Thanks everyone for introducing me to the H-H pads, learned a thing or 2 more about brake pad technology there.

Will post back as usual once I make a change, but please share your experiences if you've already done this.

Take care,

FXDFC16a.jpg

By the way, cool looking ride!

That TAIL Sure Shinned that wheel up...:D

Better than Pledge.....:naughty

Nice looking bike.

signed....BUBBIE

Kind of like a giant pipe cleaner but you gotta watch for scratches, LOL

I heard that they relocated a cat not long afterwards because it was hanging out much to close to boaters and kids - I'm guessing it was the same cat because when I came upon it, it was sitting right at the edge of the road, middle of the day in plain sight - usually you never see them.

Just wanted to add that Street Bob setup is the probably the best way to go...having all the parts new and readily available. The "R" model Sportsters also have the 49mm fork sliders, dual disk setup with M/C and hoses all available at MOCO or aftermarket

XL1200R_Mods.jpg

(I used Drag Specialties Steel Braided lines, crossover for my 2004 XL1200R) so these are available also. Happy hunting and when you complete the mods show us some pix...:D

I went through the same thing on my 02 Lowrider. Started with one Performance Machine caliper. It was better, but still not great. Then found a right side lower and added a second one. Whole new bike after that. I wish I would have done it years before I did, it changed the bike. Now the bike has 3 PM calipers and it is fantastic. My brother added a 6 piston single to his, and it does not stop near as good as the duals discs.

Keep in mind you also need a wheel that takes 2 discs. I would also upgrade the lines to braided stainless. There are some nice lines Magnum Shielding has some nice line kits that allow you some flexibility.

SledDog Hit the nail on the head for My Thinking... copy below in """"

"Well... before changing anything, check your braking system over to make sure it's functioning correctly. Then, look at your braking techniques. Are you using them to the fullest? "

Back to me...
You may NOT know How Much Good BREAKS you have nor need anymore IF you do the braking properly Front and Back BOTH used properly will usually be MORE than enough brakes on the Stock HD...

Just MY thought....

signed....BUBBIE

Back