free website stats program Looking for a way to increase my stopping power | Harley Davidson Forums

Looking for a way to increase my stopping power

Safehaven

Hey everyone,

I’m riding a 2006 HD StreetBob which has a single front disk & 4 piston caliper and I’d like to upgrade this a bit over winter. Now I’m looking for some advice on this matter.

2 Things came to mind:
-install an additional rotor & caliper, but this requires a different lower, other brake reservoir, different bore size, new brake lines, etc. Plus the added challenge of making it all fit on a narrow glide.
-Change my rotor to a larger diameter (13”?) and upgrade to a 6 piston caliper (I’m leaning towards a harrison billet mini6 but am open for suggestions)

What I am looking for are experiences from people here about either option, or just a good honest opinion.

Take care,

Hi,
first I'd recommend just try using your existing brakes harder if you haven't already done so, the rear brake on the streetbob needs firm pressure as its often not bled or maintained due to the position of the reservoir. you can pull up a SBob pretty smartly on its standard brakes.
Second, I'd try the EBC pads as already advised before going other routes.

You could end up with too much brake for the tyre in certain circumstances, I would not personally fit a second caliper.

Hopefully somebody on here has uprate their Sbobs brakes and we'll get some feedback.

Change your brake hose for braided line, install Lyndall pads:s

+1 on the EBC's. I've never used the Lyndall pads, but have experienced vast improvements using the HH's. Instead if investing many hundreds for a rotor, caliper, master cylinder, etc, $80.00 may just do the trick for you...tomp

Hey everyone,

I’m riding a 2006 HD StreetBob which has a single front disk & 4 piston caliper and I’d like to upgrade this a bit over winter. Now I’m looking for some advice on this matter.

2 Things came to mind:
-install an additional rotor & caliper, but this requires a different lower, other brake reservoir, different bore size, new brake lines, etc. Plus the added challenge of making it all fit on a narrow glide.
-Change my rotor to a larger diameter (13”?) and upgrade to a 6 piston caliper (I’m leaning towards a harrison billet mini6 but am open for suggestions)

What I am looking for are experiences from people here about either option, or just a good honest opinion.

Take care,

Well... before changing anything, check your braking system over to make sure it's functioning correctly. Then, look at your braking techniques. Are you using them to the fullest?

If the issues long lever travel or mushy lever feel, then the brake lines change is a thing to do, it will help.

If you are going to change to a high performance rotor and caliper, then also change the hand/foot control to something to match the performance of the other pieces. A high performance caliper and rotor with a stock brake actuator will give you less than a good result.

A brake disc/rotor made of cast iron would be a good way to get best out of what you already have although they will rust as soon as they get wet although an application of the brakes will clear the rust they will work well in all conditions

Bria

Just remeber too much brakes will get you in a skid. dont want your stopping power to be greater then your tire gripping power. On a car thats not as bad as a bike. Ive found on every stock bike ive rode ive had the ability to lock up the wheels. grant it ive never rode a bike with abs but im guessing thats not what yours is either. Anyway locking up the wheels on a bike usualy ends badly

Just remeber too much brakes will get you in a skid. dont want your stopping power to be greater then your tire gripping power.

Gotta disagree with this one. If you grab a hand full of stock brakes you may have too much braking power for the riding conditions or situation. Thus creating a skid.

If you know how to use your brakes correctly, and can feel how your bike is reacting to your driving and braking inputs, you will never have too much brakes.

Applying them incorrectly will put you into a skid. The relationship between too much brakes and a skid has nothing to do with each other.

But the relationship between a skid and using too much brake force has a direct correlation.

Back