free website stats program Looking for a new bike for wife... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Looking for a new bike for wife...

Sound like you answered your question.....Time to go shopping.:)

I agree a different bike is the answer. My original question was regarding which bike. Some have said a Heritage Softail would be good, but others have said that the Dyna she is on now would have a better ride than a Softail. I need some more help on this issue. We have also talked about one of the touring bikes, maybe a Road Glide, or Roak King and use a reach seat. She is only 5' 5" and we would need to address that. And there is the added weight of a touring bike. I am hoping for suggestions form people who have been through this, or have some good advice on the subject. Like which does really have a smoother ride, Dyna or Softail? And I we get a touring model, how much of an issue is the weight?
:newsmile040:

I like the ride of my heritage better then my buddies dyna. but there is always the trike to consider. no weight or hight issues. and she can carry all the luggage for those trips. I think when my knees get worse I may have to go that way

You had better make sure she understands from your add, you are looking to BUY her a bike, not TRADE her for one....if not it will be a long cold winter on the sofa :)

I don't know if you've bought the mrs a new bike yet but I wanted to offer my 2 cents since I am in a very similar situation. I am female and have serious lower back problems. I ride a Sportster and when I get to around 200 miles the pain is pretty bad. I am 5'3" so a Road King simply is not an option. You've already gotten plenty of advice about how lowering the bike is going to compromise the benefit of a smoother ride. There are a couple of other things to consider for her.

1st thing is that, even if she can reach the ground on a bike like the Heritage softtail, if she has a really bad back like mine, she needs to be able to reach the ground and then some. The lower the better. When you don't have a bad back, you don't realize how easy it is to tweak it when you lean the bike over a bit and have to catch it with your leg, or when picking it up. If you think it likely that she'll trade out the Harley seat for something cushier, then she'll lose even more reach to the ground.

The position of the seat and handlebars makes a huge difference. I've tried out the Deluxe and the seat sits way too far back for me to use it at all, plus the handlebars would have to be changed. Those are some moderately high priced items to get to before all the more typical upgrades. The bike that works the best for me, without really needing any modifications at all, is the Fat Boy Lo. It is so low that I am very comfortable picking the bike up without needing to put my back into it. The seat is scooped pretty low, giving it kindof a natural low back rest, and it sits far enough forward that it's comfortable. The handlebars are positioned pretty well.

Weight really does make a difference for us ladies given that we lack the muscle mass and height that the guys take for granted. Since Harleys are heavy no matter what way you go, center of gravity is crucial. I think the Fat Boy Lo is the best I've come across so far. However, if she doesn't like the styling of it, the Deluxe could work with some modifications. It feels heavier picking it up than the Fat Boy Lo, but she's got a couple inches on me so that might make the difference.

I hope this helps!

I don't know if you've bought the mrs a new bike yet but I wanted to offer my 2 cents since I am in a very similar situation. I am female and have serious lower back problems. I ride a Sportster and when I get to around 200 miles the pain is pretty bad. I am 5'3" so a Road King simply is not an option. You've already gotten plenty of advice about how lowering the bike is going to compromise the benefit of a smoother ride. There are a couple of other things to consider for her.

1st thing is that, even if she can reach the ground on a bike like the Heritage softtail, if she has a really bad back like mine, she needs to be able to reach the ground and then some. The lower the better. When you don't have a bad back, you don't realize how easy it is to tweak it when you lean the bike over a bit and have to catch it with your leg, or when picking it up. If you think it likely that she'll trade out the Harley seat for something cushier, then she'll lose even more reach to the ground.

The position of the seat and handlebars makes a huge difference. I've tried out the Deluxe and the seat sits way too far back for me to use it at all, plus the handlebars would have to be changed. Those are some moderately high priced items to get to before all the more typical upgrades. The bike that works the best for me, without really needing any modifications at all, is the Fat Boy Lo. It is so low that I am very comfortable picking the bike up without needing to put my back into it. The seat is scooped pretty low, giving it kindof a natural low back rest, and it sits far enough forward that it's comfortable. The handlebars are positioned pretty well.

Weight really does make a difference for us ladies given that we lack the muscle mass and height that the guys take for granted. Since Harleys are heavy no matter what way you go, center of gravity is crucial. I think the Fat Boy Lo is the best I've come across so far. However, if she doesn't like the styling of it, the Deluxe could work with some modifications. It feels heavier picking it up than the Fat Boy Lo, but she's got a couple inches on me so that might make the difference.

I hope this helps!

great post...makes me have to admit something....i love my 05 road king the ride is fantastic so smooth and all the torque needed. but although my 98 vibrates so much that friends tell me to sell it. the seat makes the bike sooooo much. on the RKP i get off numb on the 98 softail i just want to get back on it. yea i need to fess up and buy a new seat for the RKP

lorne - It sounds like you need to take your own advice, friends don't let friends ride stock. That includes seats! :newsmile090:

Back