free website stats program Looking for a new air intake. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Looking for a new air intake.

You already had the bike tuned with a hi-flow intake so you don't need a tune; all you need is a pull to check AFR at idle, partial throttle and WOT. Most dyno operators will to that for $30-$50; a minimum charge for use of the dyno. Of course, if the operator sees that you need an AFR adjustment (most likely at WOT, there might be an additional charge to make that adjustment, otherwise, after a verifying pull, you are done.

A full dyno tune, by a good operator, on an "untuned" motor could easily take 4-8 hours and 20-30 pulls with cool of time between the later pulls. Talk to the tuner and explain your situation and if he/she won't do it for a minimum charge, find another tuner.

New intake looks good BTW.;)
The stealer said they want $375 regardless of being turned prior to the new air intake. So I guess I am out of luck unless I pony up $375. I'll just live with it until I have a big bore kit installed. I used a TTS for the remapping. Is there another method that I can use?

The stealer said they want $375 regardless of being turned prior to the new air intake. So I guess I am out of luck unless I pony up $375. I'll just live with it until I have a big bore kit installed. I used a TTS for the remapping. Is there another method that I can use?

I would look for a local independent tuner; dealers don't have a good track record when it comes to tuning. So, if the dealer did the current tune, it might not be the best and all the more reason for a follow up pull to check AFR. Absent a follow up pull, or two, you are probably OK but I would be listening for pinging and doing a few plug pulls to check AFR. Read up on how to do plug pulls for accurate readings; a little more complicated than just looking at plugs with mileage. You will need a handful of new plugs and learn how to do plug pulls at various points in the RPM range. Keep the plugs, note whether pulled at partial or WOT, etc., take pictures for future reference and read up on reading plugs. Your only concern is perhaps running a bit on the lean side which you don't want to do.

If you are familiar with the TTS, take a look at the timing tables as well.

Back