free website stats program look over or under windshield | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

look over or under windshield

Sitting comfortable I like to look through but sitting up straight I like to see over it. It gives the best of both worlds this way for me.

"At 60mph there is no such thing as a love bug"

My windshield is just above eye level so if I sit up tall I can peer over it. Wind buffeting is there but I guess I've gotten used to it.

Lovebugs...the scourge of the south, nothing really feeds on them because of their high acidity, they do have a niche though, their main function in life is to help digest decaying organic matter, leaves..etc.

I suggest using bounce dryer sheets to remove the dried ones after the ride..just wet the sheet rub it on and off they come, it really is amazing..oh, rinse well, I usually remove my windshield for this operation....cheers!

Years back, my metric touring bike had a shield on it that was a couple inches over my eyes. Bugs and wind were divertted nicely. After a number of times having my other half point out deer grazing on the shoulders that I did NOT notice, I realized that I was looking THRU the shield to the point of getting tunnel vision. Since we have nearly as many deer along our roads as bugs ( and some are nearly as big! :) ) I decided to experiment. Each night we rode, I would raise myself up above the shield and WOW! there WERE a lot of deer I was missing! One day later and two inches shorter, the shield looked factory but I could easily look above it. I LOVED IT! No difference in the wind on me either! We had a slightly stepped seat, which up until this point was a good thing.
Then came the weekend and about an hour down the rode, 'Mama' says "What the (EDIT) did you do to this bike?" Seems the wind was nicely still going up and over me but was effectively beating on the crown of her helmet continuously. In addition to a headache, stiff necks also came.... The situation was easily rectified... I found a shorter riding companion! Food for thought...... I know I am afraid now to put a windshield on my Deuce! *LOL* I am VERY happy with my current riding partner!

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
With love bug season in full swing here in Fla. I am really happy with all of my windshield. I can position myself to see just over the top or through. Every year I think I am going to cut my windshield down and every love bug season, I'm glad I didn't.

Bodeen

Aah the love bug season. Man's great idea to rid the land of the pesty mosquito. I feel for you Bodeen those things are bad.

At 6'2" I like to look thru the windshield not over it. Here in Montana the bugs and birds are big, so I like the extra protection. In the spring we have allot of road sand and the highre windshield seems to direct it away from your face. I agree that is solely preference though.

Say whats a love bug....

Oh, man... If you are lucky, you will never find out.

They are actually two bugs linked together that are slowly but surely filling up the Southeastern U.S.A. They were brought to this county by accident, I believe, and have no natural enemy. The look a bit like lightening bugs.

They peel the paint off of your vehicle if you don't get them off before they bake on. They taste like (EDIT). They can be thicker than rain.

They appear twice a year... spring and late summer, if I remember. I left Florida so that I could ride year round. That's no (EDIT)

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

C#

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to the point of all this. With small bugs; looking slightly over, the shield is covered in bugs, but my glasses have no bug guts because the air flow carries them up and over. At night my lights will create reflections on the shield especially allong the edge. As many have stated, we can see much more by looking over than through. Here is my unknown; is the dreaded love bug so big that it will not be carried up and over, but rather smack you right in the forhead?

Man I thought only Florida had them stupid bugs.Well our season is over for now you enjoy.my wind shield is about 1.5" onder my viewing point for normal riding..for shields there is a site cee baileys .com i bought a light tinted from them ..

I can't decide whether to cut my windshield so I see over it or leave it alone and continue to look through it. Those foggy mornings I have to peer over the windshield. What are the pros and cons? What do you think?

As you noticed, having too high a windshield is hazardous on foggy mornings, this is one time your inner gut is telling you something. There are self help tips that show you how this is done if you want to do it yourself, otherwise you can buy one aftermarket or from your HD dealer, as your options are endless, curved, recurved, tinted...etc. Happy hunting!

Back