free website stats program Longest Ride Yet | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Longest Ride Yet

Sometimes I think we all get too caught up in how many miles we're putting on our bikes or doing in a day. I read stuff all the time bragging about how many thousands of miles someone did in a week or how they can ride 500 or 600 miles in a day, no problem. Must be a motorcycle thing since I never hear similar stories about trips on 4 wheels.

The most important thing, whether you ride 10 miles or 1000, is if you enjoyed your time on the bike. Whether you ride every day to work and back or hundreds of miles on the weekends - same question - did you enjoy yourself?

I often get just as much pleasure out of a 20 minute run up to the high school parking lot to practice stuff as I do a 4 hour day up in the north Georgia mountains. Maybe I'm weird!

I agree Doc;it's about the fun, miles. That's why most of the time I like riding by myself. If i look to the side of the road and see a really nice vista Isometimes just like to pull over, set for 10 minutes so and take it all in. That's goes for the bike or the cage. For example the first time I made the loop around Lake Tahoe which is about 85 miles, it took 5 1/2 hours.

Sometimes I think we all get too caught up in how many miles we're putting on our bikes or doing in a day. I read stuff all the time bragging about how many thousands of miles someone did in a week or how they can ride 500 or 600 miles in a day, no problem. Must be a motorcycle thing since I never hear similar stories about trips on 4 wheels.

The most important thing, whether you ride 10 miles or 1000, is if you enjoyed your time on the bike. Whether you ride every day to work and back or hundreds of miles on the weekends - same question - did you enjoy yourself?

I often get just as much pleasure out of a 20 minute run up to the high school parking lot to practice stuff as I do a 4 hour day up in the north Georgia mountains. Maybe I'm weird!

Doc - So true...any amount of time on the bike justs make the day brighter, worries behind you, wind in your face, freedom to take the next turn in any direction the road allows. The wife and I have been tranpanted to S.E. TN and just brought the bike up from our home in FL. You can bet we will be making up for the past few months without the bike, quick little jounts or a day full of back roads in East Tennessee and North Georgia.

Here in SoCal, it has been raining and overcast...some areas got hail the size of pearls in the foothills of LA...! Was at work here in Camarillo, the rain sometimes was hitting the roof so hard, it sounded like aircraft flying overhead (the is a small airport nearby...and when going in the stairwells there are some drain pipes from the roof that sounded like gushing water...bursts of "monsoon" strength rain, we've been in a drought so long it was amazing to hear and watch!!!

People that don't ride will never know what we are describing here. I knew it when I was kid riding my little Honda through the woods and down the back roads.

Glad I figured it out again before I get too old to ride. If there is such a thing hahahahahaha

I agree Doc;it's about the fun, miles. That's why most of the time I like riding by myself. If i look to the side of the road and see a really nice vista Isometimes just like to pull over, set for 10 minutes so and take it all in. That's goes for the bike or the cage. For example the first time I made the loop around Lake Tahoe which is about 85 miles, it took 5 1/2 hours.

I've done that loop on a rental Road King out of Reno and I know what you mean - absolutely gorgeous every inch of the trip!

I've done that loop on a rental Road King out of Reno and I know what you mean - absolutely gorgeous every inch of the trip!

I haven't done it on a bike yet; but hopefully we will be back there in June and I plan on renting a bike this time. When we go we stay at one of the Harrah's properties at Stateline. There is a Eagle Riders rental about Three blocks away in Heavenly Ca. but when I was there last time they were never open. I guess maybe the operators may have been on vacation or something.

You got it! its time for some California Sun!!
I bought my 89 Softail in Monterey Ca. two weeks ago rode it home to Simi valley 350 miles and its been in the garage sence.

Back