free website stats program Lifter bleed down | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Lifter bleed down

I have no hair.....I backed the bottom rocker box bolts off and created a 1/16 inch gap on the rocker assembly and then I could spin the push rod easily. They are from HD and it is stamped on them. Boxes are open and only the front has the rocker assembly installed

Yes everything is stock ....It does have a Harley 95 kit in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The push rods (front cylinder) still would not spin even with the rocker assembly change...If I back the bolts off just enough to lift the rocker assembly off the rocker box base (like 1/16 inch) they spin freely. The rear cylinder only has only the head and rocker base plate on it.....So I turned the rear wheel until the front cylinder came back to TDC again and now they turn easily. I think that I'm fine now, but how do you explain that deal. I'm going to do the rear cylinder now and it will be interesting to see if that has to be treated the same way. Thanks for all your input.

so you tightened them back up, spun the motor and they are fine? Did you torque them properly and are they torqued down properly now?

Yes untorque more locktite and torqued like the manual says. Just don"t understand why they could be spun after going to the same TDC again and not before.

I changed a cylinder O ring and head gasket and put on new rocker boxes (almost). I followed the manual and read a lot on the forum. I thought everything was going great until now.

Solid lifter.

AFTER READING 4 PAGES OVER AND OVER AGAIN::::::::::::\I think it was BECAUSE the head gasket WAS a LITTLE tighter in the compression distance FROM the one used from HD on the original and the push rods(stock) were TIGHT to start with....... HARLEY FITS them to the MOTOR and MAY VARY from motor to motor..... JUST A LITTLE, so the lifter makes up for any and ALL variations and yours being on the tight side to start with.... close to being LOOSE enough but TIGHT to the touch....

LATER LOOSENING because the lifters BLED DOWN ENOUGH to allow the easy turn....

YOU did say they would turn but VERY HARD(tight) to turn.....

THE ADJUSTABLE RODS are good in that respect, they are easy to take the slack out. BUT many who adjust them do it wrongly and have NOISE where they should be quieter....(as a harley can be)

boy what a pain it must of been and you had THE BEST in the help afforded on this site...

HOW is it sounding NOW, working now and is all okay?

I would wonder about it being TOO TIGHT and PERSONALLY i would go with adjustable push rods just for the GOOD FEELING of NOT TOO TIGHT and adjustable for future repairs.......

BUT RIGHT NOW I would BET you are NOT in any MOOD for that type repair again.....

I SUFFERED RIGHT ALONG WITH YOU ON THIS ONE AND GLAD I KEPT ON THE SIDE-LINE until now... FPHEWWWWWW

hope all is finally WELL...

thoughtfully
signed....BUBBIE

When the push rods bled down on the rear cylinder they spun easily. When I returned the front cylinder to TDC the rods spun easily also. I know I had the push rods seated properly on both. I don't know if this has anything to do with it......When I had the heads off I noticed the front piston was about 3/16 inch from ever reaching the top of the cylinder and the rear piston was ever so slightly proud of the top of the cylinder. I read somewhere that that is normal. I have not fired the bike as my tins are off to the painter. Thanks for everyones help on this.

Back