free website stats program Lift storage and improvements | Harley Davidson Forums

Lift storage and improvements

2000classic

Limited space so had to get inventive. First pic shows hoist in fully up for storage.
2000classic-albums-limited+space-picture3302-lift_in_stored_position.jpg

Being lowered for use.

2000classic-albums-limited+space-picture3303-being_lowered_for_use.jpg

1500# capacity hoist does the work.
2000classic-albums-limited+space-picture3304-1500_overhead_hoist.jpg

This is the lifting sling setup.
2000classic-albums-limited+space-picture3305-shows_lifting_sling_arraignment.jpg

I added wheel chock in place of vise and 12V elect. winch to pull bike on slow and easy. Also helpful if bike is not running.
2000classic-albums-limited+space-picture3307-wheel_chock_and_12v_elect_winch_for_one_man_loading.jpg

Bike loaded and ready to work.
2000classic-albums-limited+space-picture3306-bike_in_place.jpg

This shows full working height of the lift.
2000classic-albums-limited+space-picture3308-shows_full_working_height_of_lift.jpg

I hope this inspires some to get creative in the garage.:D

Wow, very innovative & good use of "back saving" devices. Did you have to do any bracing in the roof to support this weight?

I built two beams spanning 23'. Each is made up of 3 layers of 2x10s with a layer of osb built in for stiffness. One passes over the front of the lift and 2nd over the rear of the lift. Each rest on the outer walls of the garage with no contact of the roof trusses. The lift goes about 500#. Pretty confident the beams are sufficient. Not a cheap build, but less than extending the garage.:)

Last edited:
How about just countersinking your lift into the floor?
That way it's always there and all you have to do is drive on it, and then lift it up.

Lionsm53...you're a scary guy!!! I can sense a thread for man cave ideas in the making! :lolrolling

How about just countersinking your lift into the floor?
That way it's always there and all you have to do is drive on it, and then lift it up.

Thought of that but hate cement work!:( Plus lift is about 8" high when collapsed, so would have lost 8" of total working height. Would have to remove wheel chock so it would not have been something to bust a shin on. Also this way have a 1500# ceiling hoist for other projects as needed. Other than those items, I did like the countersink idea and gave it serious thought.

Been thinking of adding a similar winch to my lift...where and how do you attach the winch hook to the bike? Just curious how wide you lift is...as you know getting the bike out of the chock can take quite a bit of effort. Mine's about 27" thinking about adding side ramps to have a little more area for the feet.

2000Classic, That's a Great set-up, A good example of plan your work, then work your plan. I'm sure you enjoy having out of the way until you need it, and with your design it's available in just a few minutes. You're an inspiration.

Been thinking of adding a similar winch to my lift...where and how do you attach the winch hook to the bike? Just curious how wide you lift is...as you know getting the bike out of the chock can take quite a bit of effort. Mine's about 27" thinking about adding side ramps to have a little more area for the feet.

I have a 2' long double eye nylon sling I slip around a floor board mount and then place the winch hook into the eyes. No metal to metal anywhere. My work table is 29" wide. I have 11" ext. for each side but more work than I wanted just to load and unload the bike, so no longer use except for garden tractor and the like. My chock is fully adjustable so I have it set for just beyond center. A little effort to get out of but not too bad. I also use the winch to unload the bike. Keeps bike under control. As you may know, the front brake is not much help when back wheel is going down the ramp:51:
Harryb, Thanks for the kind words.:s

Back