free website stats program Laid er down gently. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Laid er down gently.

Been there too, my own fault, drinking and riding dont mix, forgot to put my feet down at a stop sign, 23 years ago and still sober hoping I never drop a bike again:s

The Ride Like a Pro video is cheap and very helpful. After watching it and some practice, haven't had a problem since. Builds confidence. But I didn't get the video until after I dumped mine in a parking lot as others have stated. There are a couple of key tricks to maneuvering that Palladino covers in the video.

+1 for Engine Bars, +1 for rear bars. Not only protect the saddlebags or rear stuff, also the legs of passengers. At least in those situations of stopped or slow-motion drops. Just checked once. No damage, even in my ego.
WAP.gif

Been there done that, twice. one on tight parking lot after 2hrs of riding, the other was right in front of my house, bike was in Newtral, rolling down the driveway then make sharp u-turn, twist the throttle, bike is not responsed and about to comes to stop, hit front brake while front wheel on left turn....... and yes, lay her down gently and she rested on the her engine bar.

Laid down mine four times in four years the fist time was first time I rode it I put my feet down too late at a stop once the bike gets to a certain angle no way you can stop it from laying down, I found that the trick in getting it back upright is to pick it up right away while the adrenaline is still pumping.

It happens so take it as a lesson learned and ride on! Pride heals quicker than bones or skin! Ride safe!

Laid mine down at a STOP sign with cars behind me,very embarassing. The wife jumped off like a jack rabbit when she saw the bike was going down. Lesson learned, do not turn your handlebars to the sharp right or left (what ever the case may be), this will throw the bike off balance when riding two-up.

In the three years that I have owned my Ultra it has been down every year! The first week that I had the bike I rode over to where my wife works and was proudly going to show the bike off. Well, not having a plan to turn around when I pulled in the parking lot I leaned the bike too far and to my horror I couldn't hold it up!! Talk about being humbled. Fortunately there was a fellow nearby who helped me right the bike. Like others have already said, very little damage to the bike. The second time I did it was a year later. Same thing, I leaned her over too far. This time in my driveway. Ugh! :small3d023: The last time I did it was two months ago, hurrying to the HD dealer for a service check I was going to roll through a stop sign when all of a sudden a car came upon me out of nowhere. I hit the front brake hard and down she went. This time I hurt my foot pretty bad. I thought I broke it! The bike is like 900 lbs and putting my leg down didn't help one bit. After these instances I am always respectful of keeping her upright. Especially on loose gravel!

I did it last night on the 1 WEEK annivesary of my new Ultra Classic! Going about 3 mph with my daughter on the back. Too much lean, too tight a turn, but mainly, grabbed the front brake. With her 120 pounds, I cold not hold it, but it went down on the left very slowly.

Can't find a mark on it...!!! Thankfully.....and thanks to the front and rear guards.

I have ridden for years and never had this happen. I would have to be with the new bike!!! Anyway, lesson learned......

No damage to bike, only broke my pinky finger.:bigsmiley29:

Back