free website stats program knocking | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

knocking

Stage 1 intake is on. Now waiting on the TFI. Would it be safe to see how it runs now with just the intake on? Is there a chance that just that may eliminate the problem? I dont want to do any motor damage. Also, I changed my spark plugs and they were a bit white, which means lean right?

YEP, but it is hard to read plugs any more and all these bikes are lean to begin with so the extra fuel will be a big plus

Google Image Result for http://www.aa1car.com/library/reading_spark_plugs.jpg this would help if we still had lead in the gas

Last edited by a moderator:
I downloaded the instructions for the tfi and I am curious how close people have found the base settings to be. It says for my bike with an exhaust, aftermarket air cleaner and no downloads to use 3,6,4,4. I am at about 800ft above sea level.
WAP.gif

I downloaded the instructions for the tfi and I am curious how close people have found the base settings to be. It says for my bike with an exhaust, aftermarket air cleaner and no downloads to use 3,6,4,4. I am at about 800ft above sea level.
WAP.gif

I have Found that the Suggested settings for the TFI are VERY close IF Not
right-on for the final setting......

The Main one for adjustment Fine Tune Is the First Green pot...

Setting at 2000 RPM after warmed the way it suggest will Fine Tune The TFI to your Ride..

Don't Over Think THIS TFI,,,,, It will run your bike at the SUGGESTED settings Just FINE.. Don't try to change the other pots out as they are BETTER set at suggested..

The other settings on Pot 2,3,4 need to be JUST set as suggested for Now..... Then try it out .... IF it runs good, smooth, You WILL notice the difference so Leave it alone... Check your Mileage to confirm you are OK with the numbers and Not too Rich or Too Lean (pot one) ...

Let us know how it runs... We'll help you from there IF NEEDED.....

signed....BUBBIE

When your engine is idling does it shake more than it used to? I just replaced the primary chain (as a result of another issue about 35,000 miles ago) and found the comp nut so loose that about one turn and it came out by hand. The red locktite was still inside the nut where the crankshaft had basically pushed instead of coating and locking the threads (maybe it still was coated with primary lube). Anyway the engine has been idling rougher over the years. After reassembling the primary the difference is amazing even with 94,600 miles on the bike. I wonder how many comp nuts have come loose that have never been worked on since leaving the factory and how many have been worked on since leaving the factory.

No extra shaking that I notice. Just because I have been hearing a lot about the comp nut loosening up maybe at the next service I will check that its tight just to be safe. I will post what I find with the oils changed next week after I get the tfi and get it on. Should be like a new ride! Thanks for all the advice!
WAP.gif

I got the tfi today. Installed it in about a half hour, then went for a ride.......... INCREDIBLE! The difference is pretty impressive. I set it to the recommended settings and it runs perfect. No more knocking and it runs much stronger with the stage 1 intake, 2 into 1 and tfi installed. Thanks to you guys for recommendations. It made all the difference.
WAP.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Back