free website stats program Kickstand adjustment?? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Kickstand adjustment??

Been to a number of rallies and biker gatherings. Seen thousands of HDs, all on their jiffy stands and parked very close to each other. Never have seen one on its side due to stand failure!:D

the "jiffy" stand is designed to do just that.

it will go a bit, and then stop. its fine. leave it alone

Rather than thinking "--they all do that..." I used the Search tab on the top and used keywords - jiffy stand replace
Found a member Delmar had a similar problem on his 2001 Road King...take a look at post #5 :33:

http://www.hdtimeline.com/touring_models/15776-2001_road_king_jiffy_stand.html

BUT it could also be a problem with pivot as in post #7 :no might want to PM him and find out.

Last edited:
Not the same problem, the wear on my bracket only affects the jiffy stand over-rotation before the bike is leaned over, has nothing to do with the bike creeping once resting on the stand.

I haven’t even replaced the worn bracket yet, it’s now habit to automatically look down and engage the locking tab before leaning the bike over. Don’t even have to think about it.

I plan to add floorboard extenders considering they share the same mounting, and will do both jobs at the same time. That is wherever I get around to it.

First HD ?
Thats what makes it work.
The jiffy stand on an HD is a work of art in funtion and will never fail you
Every single time I let my bike down off of the jack stand and I am uncertain that it will remain upright and I hold on with one hand, I think of Smitty's immortal line as quoted above. He's right, it is a "work of art". And it hasn't failed me yet but every time it rolls forward just a little bit (and these guys are right, it's supposed to) I get the heebie jeebies! I hope to one day overcome this disorder! :s

I am glad to see this is a common effect. This IS my first Harley and it bothers me. It does seem to lock after it rolls a bit, but that does seem to be a flaw.

I have two bikes. The '91 Dyna has a jiffy stand that is mounted UNDER the engine with the locking pawl welded vertically on the kickstand itself. This engages with a profile that is welded on the bottom of the frame tube. With the kickstand completely extended and then the bike weight loaded on it (this bike leans WAY over), the pawl on the kickstand engages with the profile on the frame tube, and it is rock solid. Parked on a hill facing up the hill or down makes NO difference. Once she is sitting on her stand, she's there.

The other bike is an '03 UC. This bike has the jiffy stand mounted on the side of the frame towards the front. The hole in the pawl on this setup is profiled and the pawl is fastened on the bike end of the kickstand. This pawl engages with the bracket that is secured to the side of the frame with bolts. When the bike is sitting on the kickstand and the pawl is fully engaged in the bracket, there is still about a 1/16" inch or more of play between the pawl and the bracket (the side will depend on whether the bike is pointing up hill or down!). So grabbing the bike while it is on the stand, I can roll the bike back and forth several inches (maybe 6"!!). I replaced the pawl and the bracket when I first got the bike because I thought it must have been wallowed out. No difference. So this "travel" on the stand is the design.

As I see it, one way to fix this is to have someone make a replacement wider pawl. Is that worth it? That question would have to be answered by each rider themselves. To me, it is not.

TQ

Last edited:
Park it, leave it in 1st, shut down, let clutch out, after bike bike stops moving put down jiffy stand, problem solved. :)

Park it, leave it in 1st, shut down, let clutch out, after bike bike stops moving put down jiffy stand, problem solved. :)
Sometime the obvious solution can be the most difficult to see. With the high compression ratio the bike aint going nowhere in gear.

Back