free website stats program Keep blowing battery fuse | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Keep blowing battery fuse

Just a thought here. You said problem started when changing out the battery. Sometimes there are wires besides the two main battery cables that are also attached to the battery. Some + and some --. Make sure your not trying to attach a neg. wire to the pos. post. It happens!:(

Well, I removed the TSSM and it still blew the fuse.

Back to the drawing board!

=================================================

BTW, no optional siren. I'm thinking bad wire to TSSM from battery or bad fuse box itself. Ran out of time today.. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Any additions or mods done to the bike just before this happened? Any major rain rides or water soakings? Did it quit while you were riding it? Just trying to come up with a place to start.

Bodeen

Oops, my fault. There was a branch off the battery fuse I did not see this morning. It feeds other items. One is the ignition module,, the speedo and the tach.

Try disconnecting the speedo since that item does not light up. Keep the TSSM disconnected for now. There may be more than 1 item shorted.

That fuse supports:
Optional Tach
Speedo
ignition module
TSSM
Optional siren

Sorry about that.

Bodeen - Just got the bike and don't know a lot of the history. I have not ridden it yet. Supposedly, it ran perfectly until the new battery fiasco.

Hoople, thanks. This model has no tach so I can eliminate one more thing. If the speedo disconnect does not work, I will try the ignition switch which is what I thought it was in the first place. Problem is I see no connector for the Ignition switch as I had previously tried to eliminate it.

I will try the ignition switch

Not the ignition switch. Ignition MODULE.

Having no tach or optional siren your left with 3 possible items.
Since the damage was caused by a voltage spike and not natural causes, more than 1 item can be bad.

It's too bad you had to go through $50 worth of fuses to fine it.:)

I had very little time today to work on the bike but decided to do the quickest thing possible - disconnect the ICM and test that circuit. Well, no surprise, when disconnected, the fuse blew again.

Don't know if I will have time to do the headlight circuit tomorrow. Wife says to just bring it to get fixed. With so little time (just had a second week of vacation time canceled in the last month), I just might. God I hate paying for stuff I can fix!!

Back